Ohio River Rendezvous idea

shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Ohio River Rendezvous idea

Post by shade2u2 »

Would there be any interest in a get together on the Ohio River?
We're at Marietta so for now I would be looking at that area to meet up.
There are a half dozen Marinettes in the Marietta area that I know of and I'm sure there are many between Wheeling and Cincy.
The end of season "Sternwheeler Festival" weekend might be a good time to target. Marietta is a great historical River town with many local amenities. The fireworks that Saturday night over the river are 2nd to none.
Any interest?
Hey Don up at Shrocks Marina-Marble Head, trailer yours down to the River....
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: Ohio River Rendezvous idea

Post by Rockit »

That would be a fun trek for us. We were virtually bottled up in our pool most of the summer. Montgomery has the small chamber closed so every time some cowboy damages the big chamber we can't get down river. I believe you have more modern locks downstream, but the Pittsburgh district is a case study in running facilities way past the end of their useful life. Hoping this summer is better than last, that's a trip we'd want to take.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

John, my wife and I would definitely be interested, and join, for a rendezvous whether on Sternwheeler Festival weekend or another time. We love Marietta and boated down from Gaysport (Muskingum River) in our 32 Sedan 'Aquaholic' this past September for the festival. It is always a great weekend!
Joe, Interesting comment you make about the accessibility of the locks upriver. My wife and I were hoping to make the trip from our home up to Pittsburgh at some point the Summer. We bought our boat in KY last Summer and boated it home. We want to explore the river and towns to the North of Marietta this year. Hoping that the locks are all functioning and this is not an issue. Come on Spring!
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Me too. Here's a link to a study, but anyone on our part of the river could have told them this:

http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... Study.aspx

And here's a link to the Navigation Notices: http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... tices.aspx

It pays to call ahead. I read in the notices that they were trying to get the small chamber at Emsworth opened in time for Labor Day Weekend. We went through the weekend before after I called the phone number for Emsworth to learn that they opened the small chamber early. Our timing was great because friends told us Labor Day weekend in Pittsburgh was a melee. Although on just about any nice summer weekend day in Pittsburgh, it seems like you could walk across the river on the boats. That said, it's a beautiful sight.

If you come up, stop and see us at Bridgewater Landings on the Beaver River. It's about 2/10 of a mile from the mouth of the Beaver.
Last edited by Rockit on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Me too. Here's a link to a study, but anyone on our part of the river could have told them this:

http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... Study.aspx

And here's a link to the Navigation Notices: http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... tices.aspx

It pays to call ahead. I read in the notices that they were trying to get the small chamber at Emsworth opened in time for Labor Day Weekend. We went through the weekend before after I called the phone number for Emsworth to learn that they opened the small chamber early. Our timing was great because friends told us Labor Day weekend in Pittsburgh was a melee. Although on just about any nice summer weekend day in Pittsburgh, it seems like you could walk across the river on the boats. That said, it's a beautiful sight.

If you come up, stop and see us at Bridgewater Landings on the Beaver River. It's about 2/10 of a mile from the mouth of the Beaver.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Very useful links and information Joe....Thanks
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Hey "Rockit"...
Could you offer any suggestions or recommendations for marinas / slips on the Beaver River. A current dockmate of ours might be re-locating to that area. He has a 38' ChrisCraft that he lives on for work (oil & gas related construction).
thanx
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

The best one in my opinion is ours--Bridgewater Landings--but Mike usually has a waiting list. His phone number is 724-728-2880. We are just a few minutes from the Ohio. River Harbor is also nice: http://riverharbormarina.com and has a fuel dock. There is a restaurant, a bar, an old fashioned drive in burger joint (Jerry's Curb Service) and an ice cream place near River Harbor. Jeffries' Landing is just downstream from River Harbor and has nice docks, but the former owner ran into financial trouble and I've lost track of the status. Jeffries is the only facility on the Beaver with a marine railway and a travel lift--both of which are vintage. They use the railway to launch and retrieve the boats and the travel lift to move the boats around the yard--something I've haven't seen anyplace else in the last 20 years. We use a trailer for our 28, but the only way to launch a big boat is at Jeffries'. (A marina upstream used to have a crane, but last season both the crane and the marina seemed to be out of operation.) The Beaver Valley Yacht Club is nice, but I believe you need to be a member.

There are smaller places on the Beaver and Mike might be able to direct your buddy to one of them. The word is that Captain's Quarters will not be open this season and several of their boat owners are scrambling for space. Apparently the PA DER (or whatever they are called these days) realized they could charge marina owners $35k per year and rumor has it that was enough to put Captain's Quarters out of business.

The Beaver River is a nice destination: There is no commercial traffic, there are a few restaurants in Bridgewater and several a fifteen minute walk (at least from our dock) away in Beaver. There is even an old fashioned hardware store in Beaver with an old fashioned proprietor. Although they don't carry much in the way of stainless hardware, I have enough on my boat to start my own store. (I know every screw on my 28 having driven many of them more than once.)

Love those old Chris Crafts. There is a steel Roamer and a 33' Commander upstream from us. But the Admiral has ordered that there will be no more project boats. (FastJeff is right: they are all project boats, but some are bigger projects than others.)

Good luck and I hope to see you on the river this summer. I'll be retiring at the end of August and my plan for September 1 is to point the boat downstream and go!

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Deanjmarinette30
New poster

Post by Deanjmarinette30 »

Joe,

I am looking to buy a trailer for a 30 ft Marinette Express , 1961 model. it has twin 109 six cyl. Gray Marines. I have no idea what the boat weight is?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.... also trying to match a truck to pull this thing and need to start with the boat weight, tandem or triple axle trailer etc...

If your in the mood to chat with a newbie feel free to text or call my cell. 502-331-1361

Dean
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

(you'll be better off starting a new thread - a topic i with your query. It'll be easier to find than burying it inside another thread)

UPDATE - it was easy top help you with this. I copied and pasted your post under BOAT & HULL
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD