For Sale 1972 28' express with trailer

Rockxx
Aluminum Star

For Sale 1972 28' express with trailer

Post by Rockxx »

Single 318, original, showing 1200 hours. Rebuilt heads last year, starts, runs. Very good bright work and recent upholstery. Hull and cabin have had recent paint, bottom paint two years ago. Aluminum rudder, prop like new, 9" X 42" trim tabs. Garmin GPS.
At age 73 I'm getting out of boating after better than 50 years of joy, frustration, joy, frustration, etc. I have complete history on the boat and it's always been freshwater. Ample pictures of both the boat and trailer if anyone is interested, please e-mail me at gom27@live.com. Boat is currently in the water in Tennessee and slip is paid until next April. No interest in selling the trailer without the boat. $ 7,000.00 OBO

Thanks,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
seef158
Aluminum Star

Re: For Sale 1972 28' express with trailer

Post by seef158 »

Thanks for being an honest seller Gary, the boat is just as you described if not better. Your part of the world down there is beautiful, I hope to visit again when I can spend some more time.

As many of you here on the forum know Gary has been fighting a misfire on this boat for quite a while (which he fully disclosed to me via email as well) and has gone through the heads, distributor, full tune up etc etc etc. I did some investigating tonight while winterizing and found the complete starboard bank doesn't appear to be firing most of the time or at all, each of the 4 plugs are soaked on that side. My question is would the ignition module or some other ignition part cause this or am I possibly looking at a cam? The plugs on the port bank are pretty decent looking ....
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Jake,
Enjoyed meeting you and your Dad. Gotta admit, it was tough watching you pull away with "Safari" in tow. Went for a fall, sunset cruise on my sons 37' big M on Sunday and this helped. We're blessed here in Tennessee with Mountains, plenty of clean water and the occasional 80 degree day this time of year. Hopefully you'll figure out the problem and have many years of good service. If you'll remember, we discussed that when the heads were rebuilt the original starboard head was cracked upon reinstall and the mechanic had to find another head. May be a good place to start your search.
Regards to all,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

I suspect that it is not ign. related with all the plugs on that side being wet. To be sure, put a spark tester on each plug wire on that side and check for spark. I would check compression all the way around. It is possible there is an issue with the head,i.e., cracked or warped, bad head gasket. or the valves might be adjusted wrong. Or possibly there is a problem with the intake manifold.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Compression and spark tests are first in my list, then checking firing order is right, as it doesn't seem the left bank is firing all the time either.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Update on this boat, for anyone interested. I had a family tragedy that has taken me away from it for most of the winter and spring but I've had a little time to work on it now...and I think I have it all straightened out. Maybe Gary wants to share who NOT to hire to work on your engine in the Center Hill Lake. TN area....

Here is what I found:
Wrong and mismatched spark plugs, never even heard of the brand of some of them.
timing was WAAAAY off, distributor clamp was loose when I went to adjust the timing properly.
coil was on it's way out, leaking the oil out when I pulled the lead off.
Carb intermittently dumping fuel, either sticking float or accelerator pump leaking? I had a spare that is now on it, dropped the old one off at the carb shop for a rebuild.
The wiring terminal for the condenser was spread out making very poor contact, condenser also breaking down when it would get hot, maybe the wiring connection being poor led to condenser failure?

I don't think there is much left to fix, the base engine seems good, it ran great for about 9 hours before the condenser issue showed up for me.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi