Worth Buying? 76' 37 foot sedan

SandDar
New poster

Worth Buying? 76' 37 foot sedan

Post by SandDar »

I need your help. I am looking at a 1976 37' Sedan, twin 360s.
Buy or run. If buy, what is a reasonable price range?

This boat has remained at the dock in brackish water for at least 4 years. The owner, an elderly gent, has maintained to well, as the boat was used as a CG auxiliary vessel which he took seriously. Below is a brief description of areas of the boat.

From a dockside survey:

Outside: bottom half (rub rail down) in fairly good shape. Repainted 5 years. Top half rough, dull/faded paint, "spider cracks", etc.
Inside: Paneling is de-laminated from water, especially under the salon windows. Wood around windows need refinishing. Front birth ceiling fell due to water from leaky hatch.
carpet is just old.
Galley: good shape
Floor: Galley and salon are solid
Engines: Starboard rebuilt 6 years ago, port OEM, Both start run strong but port may have a sticking lifter. Both are carburetored
Trans: Clutches forward and reverse fine.
Flybride: wiring open to elements, very weathered instruments.
Hull: some corrosion but not much if any pitting
Unknowns: Generator operability, head, bilge, oven, ice maker, HVAC.

It is become apparent, in writing this, that I need more investigation on the unknowns.

Given the scenario that the unknowns are ok. What would you pay for it or would your run.?

I appreciate any input.

Regards,
Last edited by SandDar on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Worth Buying? 76' 37 foot sedan

Post by Tuggle »

How much? Personally I would go into it as total restoration. If you can get it cheap and are a handy person go for it. If the owner is emotionally attached, not willing to part with cheap, and you're going to have to hire out the repairs, your in for an expensive venture.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
SandDar
New poster

Post by SandDar »

Thanks for the reply Tuggle. I am handy and my wife is a great seamstress so we are able to a lot. You are right, he is emotionally attached and really doesn't see it as it is. He is asking $12,500 which I think is too much. Were you able to see the pictures on the link?
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Sounds a little high to me with all the work it needs. If I were to throw a number out there, $7000.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Pictures were fine. I would approach him with I'm not trying to insult you but your boat is worth half of your asking price, at best. She sewing and you sanding-painting can save a good bit, you start going into those engines and you're going to spend a fortune. Ask if and when the exhaust manifolds were ever changed out.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
SandDar
New poster

Post by SandDar »

Thanks to all. TinLizzy I think you are right where it needs to be, maybe even a little lower.

Tuggle, yes he state every 5 years, in fact he has a manifold ready for the next change.

I greatly appreciate you responding.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Interesting...by the look of the engine photo, he's got car air cleaners on her, and the duct tape??? Wow, looks like a fire waiting to happen. The wiring looks pretty good, looks like she has a new water heater. The Onan generator looks original. ( it's the same as mine, a 1975 37' ) But the water damage....I've seen boats that have gone under that weren't that bad. If she leaking that bad, probably needs window tracks, possibly some of the built in drain holes in the walls & window sills are plugged with dirt/debris. I only paid $18,500 for my 37' and it was in excellent shape. Judging from the market on M's ( i keep track of Marinette's regularly ) I'd have a hard time giving even $7,000.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Looks like a big time restoration--keep me away or the Admiral will have me courtmartialed--but I'd want to see the bottom before my money went hard.

Give the bow and side railings a good shake.

I agree with everything that's been said, but make any offer contingent upon a satisfactory survey, hire a good surveyor who is familiar with BigMs and a good marine mechanic (unless you feel comfortable with that part--but at least go over the engines with a checklist) and have them give her a good going over. Be prepared to spend north of $500 on that exercise. Also be prepared to say "pass" if that survey comes back with more than what you are willing to do. I'm the wrong guy to tell someone not to fall in love with a boat (and the 37 Sedan is one of my favorites--big enough to be very stable but light enough to move with gas engines), but there are better boats out there if you don't want to do so much work.

Here is the other thing: if you're working on the boat while holding down a job (which you need for the $ to drop into the boat unless you have lots of $$$ already) it can take a couple of years before you're done--and you'll never really be done. Like lots of people on this forum, I like working on boats. If you buy this boat, you'd better like it too. Don't get me wrong--in a few years I'll may be looking for a 37 sedan to restore. Guess I'm addicted.

Good luck.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
SandDar
New poster

Post by SandDar »

Thanks all.
Javlin390, yes those are car air filters and the tape was for "winterization" and were removed before we fired them off. Ya, the water damage is significant. But replacing the wood seems to be the easy part, but I am concerned about what might be lurking behind it. Then there is the cause of the leak as well.
Rockit, The survey is a must but honestly the more feedback I get the more I am going to "Pass" on this. Due to the time, $$$, and other logistics in restoration such as lack of marine tradesman and such in my immediate area.

Looks like the answer to my question may be to run without a significant price drop and even then....may not be worth it.

I hope you all realize how important and valuable your comments are. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to responding.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Concur with Rockit on the surveyor. One hired by you, not the seller. And one who has confirmed experience w/aluminum boats. Most of what you've described about the boat is cosmetics, even the wood finish problems which obviously the result of leaks that can be relatively easily repaired. The surveyor should be directed to examine the major systems plus the condition of the hull. Major systems are engine and electrical system + genset. And the running gear - is the shaft straight and isolated?
As you arrange that, scour the market for sales of similar boats to arrive at a fair market price. Then you can weight that against the findings of the survey. This isn't all about price although that's an important consideration (for both parties).
As I look at your reply above, I gather you are concerned about the amount of work you face. In the scheme of things, yes it will take time but nothing you've pointed to is difficult stuff for anyone the least bit handy. If you don't fit that description, nothing wrong, but you'll need to wait until a boat more close to "perfect" comes on the market. You did say in your opening paragraph that the boat has been well-maintained and is probable useable as you restore it. What's good here is that you haven't fallen in love with the thing which, as in other facets of life, is a vulnerable place to be.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD