Aluminum Trawler

barkleydave
Site Admin

Aluminum Trawler

Post by barkleydave »

I have reached the point that I am seriously investigating a boat to do the loop in.
My 29 while fantastic for day cruising and overnite.... its fuel consumption, water, and fuel capacities do not make it a practical choice for the loop.

Does anyone know of any aluminum trawlers in the 30+ range being built.

Thanks,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Aluminum Trawler

Post by Roger2 »

While not a "Trawler" Our 37' Double Cabin with diesels was & is perfect for the loop. Take a look @ freshwaterboats.com. or Yachtworld

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
collins69s
Tin star

Post by collins69s »

Check out my Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser I have for sale on Sandusky Craigslist. She's the perfect ICW vessel.
Thanks,
Sean
http://sandusky.craigslist.org/boa/4670251201.html
1970 42' Inland Seas Aluminum Cruiser
Inland C's
Twin Star Power Turbo 7.3 EFI Diesels
ZF Trannys
Port Clinton, OH

1972 32' Marinette FB Express
Siff Surf
Twin Chrysler 318s
Original Prestolite Distributors (No Issues)
Port Clinton, OH
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Big bucks, but ooohhh baby!

http://coastalcraft.com
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I got a 28 ft single engine sedan (no flybridge) which I got running and stored up on lake superior. Originally I thought it would make a good loop boat. Since then I bought and restored a 32' twin flybridge sedan and keep it on lake michigan. The 32' would be very expensive to do the loop in. The 28 might still work but I would need to mount a 25 hp kicker right on the swim platform for safety reasons. I saw a good boat for the loop at my marina. A 26 ft McGregor sailboat. A 60 hp outboard which will take it to 24 mph but you can also use a 5 or 10 hp. Uses water ballast which lets it ride low on a custom trailer and cruise shallow waters. A mast raising system allows easy taking the mast up and down. It is a popular boat they built 38000 of them and should be easy to sell after a loop trip.
Check out Mcgregor26.com.