Looking for Port Side Helm Seat, Stand, Wall Bracket and Footrest.

Joshe7275
New poster

Looking for Port Side Helm Seat, Stand, Wall Bracket and Footrest.

Post by Joshe7275 »

Just purchased a 86 32’ sedan. Would like to find a port side helm seat, stand, wall bracket and foot rest. Would like to keep with Marinette parts. Not particular on year. Condition doesn’t matter to much, can reupholster seat if need be.
Thanks
John
Phone: 937~368~3907 if no answer leave message.
Journey On
Conover, OH
Slip @ Curtice, OH
1986 32’ Sedan FB
Chevy 350 Crusaders
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: Looking for Port Side Helm Seat, Stand, Wall Bracket and Footrest.

Post by Rockit »

It would not be hard to re-create. Those seats are just two pieces of 5/8" plywood held by two brackets, add upholstery and install the mounting hardware on the port side and the bracket for the support on the bottom and you're done. If, like me, you have no upholstery skills a decent shop can make it. However the side mounting brackets are not so easy to find--most helm seats today are pedestal mounted--so if you want to stick with 100% factory, you would need the seat and the hardware to mount it to the bulkhead. It might be easier to live with a pedestal mounted helm seat as long as it had a pedestal you could remove from the deck because that might be less hassle than taking down the seat and the support every time you had to service the port engine--I'm trying to remember though if the engine hatches on the 32 sedan are aft of the seat and if they are then removing the helm seat wouldn't be a concern.

On my 28, I cut down the originals and substituted the brackets with side-mounted hinges so I could fold the seats out of the way in order to be able to open the engine hatches without removing the seats. (Of course this involved removing the original upholstery--the foam was in surprisingly good shape after 35 years--and re-upholstering the seats.) With the new seats I still couldn't open the port hatch all the way with the seat folded, but because it wasn't so bulky, it was a lot easier to handle.

Anyway, I've rambled on too much.

Good luck!

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Hi John.
I have one that I removed from my 37' when I installed a large couch on the Starboard side.
If that is your cell phone number, :idea: I can take a few pics and text them to you?
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Joshe7275
New poster

Post by Joshe7275 »

Bill
My Cell phone is 937-623-3194
Thanks
John
Journey On
Conover, OH
Slip @ Curtice, OH
1986 32’ Sedan FB
Chevy 350 Crusaders
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
John,
Sorry, After re-reading your post. :oops:
I have the Starboard side seat. They are not interchangeable. :roll:
bill
Last edited by bill on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Bill, that's right unless you re-build the seats.

The hardware for a starboard seat mounted on the other side would work. After you disassemble the seat you should easily be able to re-build it the other way. It will need to re-covered of course and you (watch out here it comes) might as well re-upholster the whole thing while you have it apart.

I'm guessing Marinette made the seats because I haven't seen anything like them anywhere else. I certainly could not locate any comparable contemporary hardware. My dad's 1967 Owens had side bulkhead-mounted seats, but they were not as nice as the ones on our boats.

Good luck!
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Joshe7275
New poster

Post by Joshe7275 »

Joe,
That’s what I thought I would do. The parts look the same. The only thing that might be different is the seat connection to the wall. If it’s attached to the seat fold down hinge, that might have to be remade. The rest looks like it could be disassembled and reworked. Ideally a port helm seat and accessories would be ideal, but since none are readily available I think I can rework, remanufacture something that will.
Thanks
John
Journey On
Conover, OH
Slip @ Curtice, OH
1986 32’ Sedan FB
Chevy 350 Crusaders