Need an Engine

Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Need an Engine

Post by Leviathon »

Awesome - an hour boat ride turned into a 6 hour ordeal. Think the 318 is done for. Anyone got a lead on an engine?? Also, what else will fit in a 28 nicely?? Will a Chrysler 440 slide right in there as well? I am located in Southwest Michigan. - Steve 3129145994
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
marinetteman
Site Admin

Re: Need an Engine

Post by marinetteman »

Make sure you need one....

Not a 440, but a 360 will fit in the same space. ... from experience I would say save the money and put in 360 or 318. A single 318 in good condition is sufficient, but the extra 25 horse might be nice. A 360 is the almost the same as a rebored 318 ... minor differences but it bolts up and uses the same hardware. Same price pretty much also. 1500 to 2500. Many people pay extra and buy Jasper ... I had one jasper and it ran fine.

Better choices for money, add the hardware for fresh instead of raw water in the 360 engine.

IMHO. A 440 is not the way to go, it's too heavy (for a 28) and requires too many changes for a legacy engine. If you want newer and will do the work, you could go with an EFI 350... I did (lighter) ... and it was too much money IMHO. But I get 660 HP out of 2 350 crusaders with automatic sync and single throttle cruise control. rock solid reliable but too much money for too little.
Thank you
37 Foot Sedan Twin EFI Crusader 350s
Admin (forum founder)
Marinetteman (marinettejoe) BigM
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

My 28' Express was re-powered with a 440 long ago by some previous owner. They did a small amount of chopping into the aluminum bulkhead right underneath the cabin door in order to create room for the belts/pulleys.

There's a pretty decent amount of room around the other 3 sides of the engine.

In support of marinetteman's post above, my boat is on the heavy side for a 28 single - about 7,600 lbs with minimal equipment.

With my 14x12 propeller, 1:1 velvet drive, dirty hull, and non-functioning trim tabs, I am getting about 21mph at 2500 rpm and 26mph at 3000rpm. I'm thinking performance will improve when I address the hull and tabs, plus get the grubby-looking Carter AFB rebuilt or replaced.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Thanks guys - that is the info I needed. I have a Ford 351 marine engine in my garage I would love to try in there - no idea how it would fit. Feel like the 318 is a little under powered, but I will tell you reliability is the most important thing in my mind, could care less if I am faster than anyone.
Steve and Mary Levi
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
marinetteman
Site Admin

Post by marinetteman »

I'd still go slow. Any changing of the type of engine is not generally worth it. think carefully about the cooling and gas line changes, and rewiring costs....

360s and 318s are so similar that they share the same manual. Good luck either way. BigM
Thank you
Admin (forum founder)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A 360 is NOT the same as a 318: The flywheel, oil pan, damper pulley and lots of other parts will not interchange.

The bell housing is the same, however, which is not the case with the Ford; the mounting points on the block will be different as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
marinetteman
Site Admin

Post by marinetteman »

Fastjeff wrote:A 360 is NOT the same as a 318: The flywheel, oil pan, damper pulley and lots of other parts will not interchange.

The bell housing is the same, however, which is not the case with the Ford; the mounting points on the block will be different as well.

Jeff
Clarification... from the perspective of replacement in the context here, there is very little change. I would assume that he is getting a long block and not going to bring over most of the block parts. A 360 is a far better choice than a ford. Water pumps, cooling systems, fuel lines, fuel filters, exhaust, mounting, wiring harness to the cockpit, instruments... would not change, maybe fuel for the thirstier engine. The boring, crank and flywheel are different with a different bore. But Chrysler kept the same service manual for both engines. Distributors and many other parts are the same.
Thank you
Admin (forum founder)
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Agreed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Found a newer 318 from a marina. This way I will have plenty of replacement parts.
Steve and Mary Levi
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

A new 318 with good compression might surprise you!

Jeff