Looking for a 26’ Marinette

captpaddwheel
Tin star

Looking for a 26’ Marinette

Post by captpaddwheel »

Good afternoon Everyone,

The discussion around the captain’s table lately has been talk of downsizing from our 34’ to a smaller pocket cruiser. The same old “Big Boat” scenario has caught up to me, the one we all seem to go thru when we start sliding towards 60. We don’t use the old girl as much anymore and our/my mental age is catching up to our/my poorly maintained body. I don’t want to look at or even think about reverting to a small plastic "clorox bottle” boat with a motor. I really like the layout, single engine and trailerable size of the early to mid 60’s 26’ Marinette. So I’m starting to look for something within in the 150-200 mile radius of the Eastern Delmarva region. Turn-key is always nice but I'm not too old yet to do the work if needed. If anybody knows of one or if somebody is looking to move up to an aft cabin, maybe a trade with cash could be possible.
Thanks, Capt. Paddwheel
1992 34 foot Aft Cabin with Crusader 454's

"There's Old Captains and there's Bold Captains,
But there's not many Old Bold Captains"
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Looking for a 26’ Marinette

Post by Busia »

Good luck with your search, one of the few of us that are being realistic about the time and money and work it really takes! My thoughts are there are a lot of twin or even single 32's out there, would give you a lot more choices if you included 32's. A boat that is close would be nice, but don't exclude something farther away. Just include moving costs in the total price. I've found that with some shopping around that the moving can be done for very little. Or if you are lucky the current owner might deliver as part of the sale price.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Want to swap with my 28'? (Do I have a death wish?) It has twins though and is a bit over 200 miles from DE.

Like you, we've been toying with the idea of a different boat. We'd like a newer one, but it's hard to look at those clorox bottles when you have the classiest boat at the marina. It's not that I'm not into projects, I've just done everything I'm going to do with this boat--which was a fair amount. And it's nice to have a boat with a trailer.

Here's a link to some before and after pictures: https://jnap.smugmug.com/Boats/1977-28-Marinette/

Maybe I'll just have to build one. .

Good luck.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Busia wrote:Good luck with your search, one of the few of us that are being realistic about the time and money and work it really takes! My thoughts are there are a lot of twin or even single 32's out there, would give you a lot more choices if you included 32's. A boat that is close would be nice, but don't exclude something farther away. Just include moving costs in the total price. I've found that with some shopping around that the moving can be done for very little. Or if you are lucky the current owner might deliver as part of the sale price.--Ed

Some sound advice that I truly appreciate. You are spot on! If the right boat comes along and it meets my criteria, it’s worth working out the details . Thanks, Greg

captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Rockit wrote:Want to swap with my 28'? (Do I have a death wish?) It has twins though and is a bit over 200 miles from DE.

Like you, we've been toying with the idea of a different boat. We'd like a newer one, but it's hard to look at those clorox bottles when you have the classiest boat at the marina. It's not that I'm not into projects, I've just done everything I'm going to do with this boat--which was a fair amount. And it's nice to have a boat with a trailer.

Here's a link to some before and after pictures: https://jnap.smugmug.com/Boats/1977-28-Marinette/

Maybe I'll just have to build one. .

Good luck.

Joe
She’s Gorgeous! Looks fast too! Love to have her but I gotta stay a little smaller for the beam thing over here. They bust anything over 9’6”. Nailed a buddy of mine outside of Cambridge, MD 2 months ago. Also I’m hoping to go with one engine to keep my wallet from barking so much. We’re looking to trailer to different areas around the Chesapeake Bay and keep her at a Marina for a week or two, explore, then move to another. But boy it would be fun to WOT yours like my old days, (I had a 34’ Sea Ray Express that would do 31 knots with a clean bottom). Thank You so much for your offer and sharing your pics. Greg

Dallas
New poster

Post by Dallas »

There is a 26 for sale in our marina (Creekside Landing) Louisville KY. The price has been dropped considerable, I think He just wants to get rid of it. He reports it has new engines. Still needs some TLC. His Name is Phil Lockhart that's all the Info I have.
Rockxx
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockxx »

Rockit,

I really like the cover on your 28, would you be willing to share your source (and cost)
Really nice boat you have.
Thanks,
Rockxx
1972 28' express "Safari"
Single Chrysler 318
Center Hill Lake, Tennessee
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The cover was made by a local outfit for around $900 back in 2012--I have every other invoice for this boat except that one! Here's a link to their website: http://www.tumacscovers.com/site/

If you want a cover for a 28 express, they now have the pattern. I figured if the cover lasted three years, I beat the cost of shrink-wrap. Which it has so I did. Those pictures are from when it was new and aside from a couple small holes on the hardtop where it rubbed against the horn, the cover is still in good shape.

If you get snow you need to support the cover. I have a support on the cabin top and a longer one on the deck--plywood base with carpet on the bottom and upright 2x4s covered with carpet. To keep the snow from sagging the cover, I run a line from the handrail on the hardtop on one side, through the front two stanchions of the bow rail and back to the handrail on the other side of the hardtop. I also run a line from each side of the hardtop to the aft cleat on the opposite side. That keeps the cover from sagging if it snows a lot. While that might seem complicated, it beats building a frame.

Now that I'm sliding toward 60, I don't want to put my boat away for the winter anymore. . .
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
SunbeamIV
Tin star

Post by SunbeamIV »

Capt.
Saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281864456081

May be a bit outside of your area, but looks pretty clean!
Scott, 32' 1989 sedan flybridge
Located: Edgewater Yacht Club
Lake Erie
captpaddwheel
Tin star

Post by captpaddwheel »

Dallas wrote:There is a 26 for sale in our marina (Creekside Landing) Louisville KY. The price has been dropped considerable, I think He just wants to get rid of it. He reports it has new engines. Still needs some TLC. His Name is Phil Lockhart that's all the Info I have.
Thanks Dallas, I will call the marina and see if they have any contact info for Mr. Lockhart.
Greg