Fresh Water Holding Tank Pump

Ray4713
Tin star

Fresh Water Holding Tank Pump

Post by Ray4713 »

My 1987 32' Sedan freshwater holding tank pump is not working properly. The pump is a Jabsco PAR 36950-1000. It kicks on for a short time then shuts off. Then it doesn't kick on again unless I turn the breaker off and then back on. At that point it will restart and run for a short time then stop. I have water in my holding tank and power present at the pump. Thinking it might be a faulty pressure switch ??? Anyone else had this issue or one similar? Any advice is appreciated.
1987 32' Sedan Flybridge "Brown Eyes"
Twin Chrysler 318s
Center Hill lake, TN
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Fresh Water Holding Tank Pump

Post by jralbert »

Not even sure if they have a pressure switch. Something overheating? Motor? Jabsco has great tech people. And the units are easy to repair- usually. If you learn the cause, please post.
UPDATE: Sorry, I misread the question and goofily thought you were referring to waste pump. The words holding tank threw me off and I confused it with waste tank. Duh duh. See Jeff's reply below. of course they have pressure switch and as Jeff notes, ditch the one with the belt. I have one in the garage and if you insist on using it, it's yours for parts for just the shipping cost. It actually worked but was in need of alignment adjustment.

Accumulator a must for either type of FW pump
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I replaced with a sureflow 12 years ago no issues

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If that's one of those pumps with the cog belt drive, do yourself a HUGE favor and accidentally drop in over the side. Get a regular pump and install an accumulator along with it. This reduces the cycling of the pump (and your aggravation level). I made up a little 'pump skid' of plywood (a bottom and vertical piece) and mounted/ plumbed it all up before crawling into the wine cellar.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Ray4713
Tin star

Post by Ray4713 »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It is a belt driven pump . I plan to replace it with a sureflo aqua king II or equivalent. Fastjeff- thanks for the idea of pre mounting and plumbing on a piece of plywood before crawling in for the install.
1987 32' Sedan Flybridge "Brown Eyes"
Twin Chrysler 318s
Center Hill lake, TN
express28

Post by express28 »

Ray4713 --- If you are interested I still have the fresh water pump left from my 28. I know it's used but it always ran good and still does. It was the belt driven pump (Jabsco - Par Model 36950-1000). I'd let it go for $50.00. Jim B.
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

Somewhat related question, I purchased an ‘84 Marinette 28’ Sedan F/B last fall. All systems are working but I’m not getting any pressure from my sinks when I turn on the water system switch. I can hear the pump running, so I suspect when it was winterized, the valve has remained closed. Can someone tell me where those valves may be located?
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Joe,

When I winterize my fresh water system, I basically empty the fresh water tank AND the hot water tank. I installed a valve in the "wine cellar" where the 2 tanks are located. I can then open the cold water tanks and drain them either into the forward bilge -OR- into a bucket. To ensure that I've removed as much water as possible, both from the tanks -AND- the water lines themselves, I hook up a shop vac to that emptying valve and pull whatever water I can out of the system - with a sequencing of opening valves, starting with the furthest first, then closing it, opening the next furthest, on down the line - both for cold AND hot water lines. This pretty much empties the system so there's no worry of over-winter freeze up and cracked lines/tank. IE. you don't have to, nor should you, put antifreeze in the fresh water system.
Now, having said all that, it now comes to basic questions following a winterization...
* you hear the pump running. And it's (normally) located in the "wine cellar" (accessible by folding up the steps leading to the galley from the salon).
- Any valves there?
- If so, have they been closed?
- tank's been filled?
** NOTE - always a good idea to "freshen" a tank after a long period of inactivity. Can send you those instructions if you'd like.
- All connections to the pump (both from the water tank and going out to the water heater/water lines are tight?
- Open up all water faucets to allow any trapped air to escape?
- If all the above are "yes's" then verify that the pump's really functional:
(Turn power to pump off initially)
(unscrew water fill cap - this will eliminate any possible vacuum preventing water from coming out of tank - pump
--> the vent to the tank SHOULD be preventing vacuum, but if it's clogged up, opening the main fill will eliminate that possibility.)
a. at pump's inlet (and tank has water in it!), disconnect inlet at pump.
-> you should have water coming out of hose from tank.
** no water? possible clogged/plugged hose. Run a wire / straightened (light weight) coat hanger. Fold the end of the coat hanger over on itself to create a rounded loop which will make it easier to get around any bends.
b. reconnect inlet hose to pump.
c. disconnect outlet hose from pump's outlet port.
- you might want to put a shallow bowl under outlet to catch any water.
d. turn on power.
-> you should see water coming out with some force.
** no water / or only minimal? Pump's probably bad. Repair may be more /as expensive as replacement.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
JoeGer
Tin star

Post by JoeGer »

Bill, thank you for taking the time to reply. I can hear the pump in the same spot you suggest (next to the stairs) on the Port side near where I filled the tank. But I can not open that cabinet/cupboard but I haven’t tried too hard. I will take a look again when I get back there :)
1984 28’ Sedan Fly-bridge
Twin 318
Lower Detroit River, USA
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Be sure it's a cool day! Gets kinda warm in there.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington