Waste tank/s setup question

Aquaholic
Tin star

Waste tank/s setup question

Post by Aquaholic »

We have had our 1989 32 foot sedan for a couple of years now and have yet to completely figure out the waste tank situation. So.... If my estimation is correct it appears that we are getting about nine gallons of storage. However, there are what appears to be two waste tank pumpout holes. I have not tried incredibly hard, but the second one cap does not come off. Can anybody tell me what this second cap is for? Is there a second holding tank?
Aquaholic
1989 32 Marinette Sedan "Aquaholic"
1973 28 Marinette Express "Easy Does It"
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Waste tank/s setup question

Post by jralbert »

It's the long time concensus here that the 2nd hole doesn' connect to anything. It's just a hole that we have all assumed was put there for future use. My cap would not come off either. I suspect that, unused. it was corroded into place. I had an "88 32" FBS
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

If you'd like to check it out, spray the stuck cap with PB Blaster (best stuff I've ever run across for loosening corroded metal connections) and let it sit for several hours. You might respray if it appears liquid PBB isn't "puddling" at threads (which is a good sign that PBB is working down into the threads).
You could also use an impact driver (if there's a slotted keyway which would allow for the use of flat tip screwdriver bit) to help loosen the fitting AFTER the PBB treatment.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Generally the 2nd waste cap on the deck was for overboard pump out. Marinette or the dealer, cant remember which provided a short 3 ft hose, with a threaded male end that screwed into the 2nd cap (usually black). Crank up the macerator pump and out she blows. This is how our 1989, 28 was setup from the factory. This practice is of course illegal unless you are X miles off shore and only in the ocean?? I forget the exact rules but I don't think you can pump out anywhere in the Great Lakes.

-karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Ok......that is what I thought it possibly was for. The macerator pump is still under the vbirth, but doesn't work. Wouldn't use it if it did. I'd actually like to figure a way to increase the holding tank size or add a second one. Anyone ever done this?
Aquaholic
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

In the process of installing a 19 gallon holding tank under the front berth. Using a Moeller tank.

The pump out fitting is a 90 deg 1 1/2" elbow with barb fitting. New hoses (non permeable) will run from the tank's pump out fitting to the deck fitting. Additionally, that same type hose will run from the vent outlet to the vent fitting on the hull. All fittings, as they are attached to the tank, are secured using plumber's putty which ensures a water tight / corrosion resistant connection. ( I know as I've filled the tank 4 times with water to check for ANY leaks!).
Tank end - prelim setup inc verbiage.jpg
To ensure the tank pump out fitting at the base of the tank remains rigid, I set up a bracing system:

Tank - outlet pipe bracing inc verbiage.jpg
The vent line needs to run slightly uphill to allow for fumes to escape. As it's not advisable (or desireable! :? ) to have holding tank fumes wafting in the air while you're anchored, a filter, using activated charcoal, is placed inline. Not wanting to spend a bunch of $$$ on a pre-made filter, I constructed one of my own.
Attachments
Tank filter parts.jpg
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

The filter's media is held in place using cut out sections of scotch pad scrubbing pads:
Filter medium inc verbiage.jpg
Filter - medium retainer matl - creation.jpg
The tank's content level, being below the forward berth, will not be easily determined. So a SCAD tank monitoring system will be used to ensure the levels within the tank are readily available.
As mentioned, the vent line, as well as the filter, need to run slightly uphill. The filter will be secured to the berth/head common wall using 1 1/2" plastic "J" hooks from Lowes.
SCAD system - tank section.jpg
The readout panel will be mounted in the head. I debated on whether to mount on the lower steering station but opted instead to mount "where it's most likely to be noticed!" aka - the head. It'll be mounted under the basin which should put it within easy eyesight of a user. :roll:

The tank will be secured under the berth using aluminum angle sections at the base of the tank, with closed cell rubber cushioning between the side of the angle and the tank to prevent chaffing of the tank's sides. On my boat there's a 3/4" section of plywood in the forward berth just inside the louvered access hatch. That baseboard is hinged at the bow end. I'll install 4 SS T nuts fore and aft and secure the angle for those locations. I'm installing 4 SS T nuts (2 on each side) under that hinged baseboard at the sides. I'll then thread/screw in a 5/16" SS rod with SS flat & lock washers and SS nut to lock down angle retainer. At the top of the rods, a hardwood (with the same closed cell rubber cushioning underneath it <ie. rubber will be against the tank's top> batten will run across the top and connect to the other side's rod and secured with SS hardware. The same rubber cushioning will be placed between the vertical rods and the tank's side walls. In effect, no hard surface will be be in contact with the tank's sides or top. Once secured, it will be unmovable in any sea.

Some explanations...
I didn't put a barbed 1 1/2" fitting at the bottom of the tank with the pump out hose connected because I found the fittings on these tanks to be worrisome in that I feel that they aren't as stout as I'd like them. Given what the contents of the tank will be, I opted for 1 1/2" schedule 40 plastic pipe which is rated (and available at any home improvement store) for sewage. With the plumber's putty ensuring a good watertight connection, I also don't have to worry about standing effluent permeating a hose.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Aquaholic
Tin star

Post by Aquaholic »

Very nice Bill. You folks on here documenting in doing these detailed instructions is so very helpful:-).
Did you leave the original holding tank in place and just abandon it? What is the original holding tanks location? Thanks again
Aquaholic
McConnelsville OH
Muskingum River
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Aquaholic, sent you a pm.

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

For what it's worth , I changed all my sanitary hose to 1 1/2 schedule 40 pvc with a clean out in the head. No more hose to change.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"