Swim platform paint

CallMeCaptain87
New poster

Swim platform paint

Post by CallMeCaptain87 »

I’m in the process of building an extended aluminum swim platform for the 37 Marquis. Anyone have any pointers on paint to use for it? Powder coat vs Imron? Whatever I do needs to have some type of grit texture in it for traction. Any advice or thoughts are welcomed! I’ll be sure to post some pics after it’s installed. Planning on making it all bolt on so not to weld on the hull
1990 37' Marquis
Twin 454
Louisville, KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Swim platform paint

Post by Busia »

I think that powder coat would be the most durable if you can do it. Imron was just the first two part polyurethane, I think you will find there are better and much cheaper ones now. If you use any two part paint you mix, you have to have a supplied air respirator to spray it. There are no cartridge respirators that will work. The grit is standard and easy to get for non-skid or you can get the gritty non-skid tape that sticks down, but it is like sandpaper and may be too much.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Not a huge fan of powder coat in corrosive environments. We get lots of fuel tanks and alluminum parts in powder coat for trucks and it falls off after a few years. And that's on new alluminum. Just what I've seen. Also may want to take into consideration just using a deck paint with grip. Alluminum swim platforms wet can be tragic.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I use interlux brightside with the non skid media. It is one part so no big health risks. You just roll it on keep it well mixed. No need to brush tip it off. very durable. Forget two part on top side stuff. I used it on the the roof deck under the flybridge because you need solid footing up there.