Bottom Paint Touch Ups with new anodes

honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Bottom Paint Touch Ups with new anodes

Post by honestcharlie56 »

OK, the engines are finally done and are scheduled to go in the boat this coming friday. SO, I was going to go ahead and change out the anodes on the hull. I do NOT know what paint is on the hull, but it was just redone before I bought the boat this past July. Can I touch up with a mix matched paint?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: Bottom Paint Touch Ups with new anodes

Post by Maestro »

Do you want to put a fresh coat on the whole underwater portion of the hull or just a few small spots?

If just a few small spots - you could probably get a away with sanding them lightly and using an ablative antifouling paint like interlux micron CF, Pettit vivid, or Sea Hawk mission bay. Trilux 33 would also work. It's the tried and true choice for many BigM owners.

if you want to do a full coat and have no way of knowing what type of bottom paint was used, Sea Hawk paints makes a product for this exact situation. It's called sea hawk 1277 bottom paint primer. It's super sticky coating that ensures good adhesion of your new coat of paint and compatible with almost everything. Also fairly cheap.

Main thing - just don't use antifouling paint with cuprous oxide. This stuff is the norm for plastic and steel boats but not good for aluminum.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Just touch ups, since I'm changing the anodes out to and knowing some are different sizes.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

In that case - you could just sand those spots that will be left exposed when the old anodes are removed. If there are bare metal spots, sand to shiny aluminum. Immediately prime with interlux primocon before the aluminum oxidizes.They make a spray paint version of Primocon for these small jobs.

Then, coat with antifouling paint of your choice. Most bottom paint compatibility issues have to do with adhesion problems. Sanding solves this.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI