Topside paint question

ThunderStruck
Tin star

Topside paint question

Post by ThunderStruck »

Can any topside paint be used or does it need to be "copper free"? Thanks...
Mike Calp
ThunderStruck
1978 32' FB Sedan
Twin 318s
Middle River,Md
TinChips
Tin star

Re: Topside paint question

Post by TinChips »

Topside paint is handled differently that bottom paint so copper vs copper free isn't really an issue. That said, you should try and figure out what sort of topside paint you have on the boat right now as that will govern what you can repaint or patch it with.

The original paint was a 1 part alkyd enamel (most likely long gone) over primer. Many Marinettes over the years have been repainted with a 2 part system like Imron, Awlgrip, or PPG. You should probably patch with a compatible paint.

Important: You can't put a 2 part paint over a 1 part as it won't stick for very long (unless you sand to bare aluminum or close to it).

Some of us (myself included) have tried the "roll and tip" painting method and it gives pretty good results. As always, whatever way you do it, proper preparation is 99% of the work.

Hope this helps.
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I bought some expensive HVLP spray equipment which is going on EBAY. I can't get the hang of it. I used interlux bright side rolled and tipped. I screwed up the first application -- rolled on way to thick and had to sand it down. I suggest rolling thin coats so the tipper just smooths it not push it around. Two thin coat should do it. Thick coats with no tipping is ok where you mix in interlux non-skid. When you roll or brush paint you don't have to "tent" the darn boat to keep overspray off. That saves a lot of time and you can do the work outside. The walk around deck was in bad shape. Full of spider web cracks and missing filler. I talk it over with the Interlux rep and decided to use the interlux two part bottom paint E2ooo over the sanded original paint on the heavily walked on area. I put the thinner and it just ate off the old paint and made a soupy mess. I cut out the thinner and rolled it on as a base coat with bright side on the top. You don't have to tip decks. You may want to add non-skid anyway. I prefer the interlux products but they are very expensive. I have an old 28' foot project boat that I may try some less expensive paint. Compared to labor ( I hired a helper) paint cost is fairly incidental.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Painting tip: don;t paint the foredeck glossy white. The sunlight bouncing off that surface can be blinding. Flatten paint in that area. White will still be bright but not as reflective. Or go with another,darker color in that region
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ThunderStruck
Tin star

Post by ThunderStruck »

Thank You for all your help. This forum is so helpful due to people like you.!!!
Mike Calp
ThunderStruck
1978 32' FB Sedan
Twin 318s
Middle River,Md
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Yeah, but Joel, by not painting with glossy white on the foredeck the ease of tanning under one's chin is eliminated.... :roll: :roll:

... oh, you wanted good jokes.... :lol:

Bill
Last edited by bcassedy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Does the Interlux BrightSide apply and hold up well?
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

The interlux brightside is a one part topside coat. It is very durable. I had the original factory finish on my 32'. I power sanded it but I did not want to dig down to bright metal. Where I did cut to bright metal I immediately sprayed it with a can of etching primer. Bare aluminum will form a coating of aluminum oxide which does not take ordinary paint well. I used 2 part interlux watertite filler to replace missing filler. I used automotive flowable blending and finishing putty to smooth out shallow cracks. It drys in minutes. Interlux provides non-skid and flattener additives. I did use 2 part bottom paint to undercoat the walk around deck. I put it over the old one part finish and it melted right in. This may not work with all old paint. I had planned to sand and compound the new paint. I even bought the supplies. But then I said the heck with it and went boating. Git er done, not over done.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Painted mine with Rustoleum Topside, used the "roll-tip" method. It is important to wait the 24 hours specified between coats. Have done the hull and the stripe, will finish the rest when it warms up a little. So far it has gone on easily and looks great.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.