Topside Paint

sckaras

Topside Paint

Post by sckaras »

Opinions Please - Imron vs. Awlgrip vs Interlux for waterline up including sides, top, deck, etc....
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Topside Paint

Post by Tuggle »

Painted my hull last summer with Rustoleum Topside, sanded smooth and applied two coats, almost a year later still looks good. Soon as it warms up a little I'll finish the rest. Without question need to wait the 24 hours recommended between coats, or you'll seal the still drying first coat. Might also add my decision to go with Rustoleum may have been swayed by the fact it was free.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
hightension
Tin star

Post by hightension »

Any pictures
Rodney Hack
Louisville,Ky
1975 32' sedan flybridgehttp://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/ucp.php?i=u ... =signature#
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Awlgrip , Imron. I would consider "professional " Both are 2 part. Meaning you need to know what your doing. Both will give you a very hard finish. The interlux is a single. Softer finish. I used the Awlgrip system when I painted mine. "Butt" I had access to a paint booth that the boat would fit into. The finish on mine is 5 years old, looks like it was painted last week. Very happy. "Butt" I had close to 6,000 in materials when I as done. At the same time I seen another Marinette being painted out side with brushes and rollers. using interlux. When they were finished it look beautiful. looked like it was sprayed. "Butt" 3 years later it had lost its shine. Awlgrip, Imron you do not buff. You wash it only. No wax. If you have the time ,and place ,and equipment I would use Awlgrip. If your just wanting to freshen it up. Role , tip the interlux. "Dont" put 2 part paint over 1 part. It will lift. To use 2 part you will have to go to bear alunimum and start over. Joe, Here are some pics. The first was Nov 2012. I painted the boat in the winter or 12/13 .Put it back in in spring of 2013. Pulled it out in Aug 0f 2016 , second pic, to clean bottom ,and fresh coat of bottom paint .
Attachments
IMG3164.jpg
IMG3165 (1).jpg
IMG3157.jpg
IMG3158.jpg
flybridge on deck.jpg
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

This is after 3 1/2 years sitting in the marina. In the water the whole time. No buffing, No wax. Just Awlgrip boat soap only. Very happy.
Attachments
IMG3160.jpg
IMG3163.jpg
IMG3159.jpg
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
sckaras

Post by sckaras »

very nice pictures, thank you for the advice
much appreciated
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Tuggle wrote:Painted my hull last summer with Rustoleum Topside, sanded smooth and applied two coats, almost a year later still looks good. Soon as it warms up a little I'll finish the rest. Without question need to wait the 24 hours recommended between coats, or you'll seal the still drying first coat. Might also add my decision to go with Rustoleum may have been swayed by the fact it was free.
Is the rustoleum still holding up?
Did you use gloss or semi-gloss white?

Thank you,
John
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Still looks good, holding up well, Gloss White for the hull, Navy Blue for the stripe. Used 3/4" reflective white tape for the pinstripe. Have yet to finish the rest, between work and the weather just can't seem to "Get er Done".
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Thank you tuggle
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)