Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Post by jralbert »

Urging you to put the Perko ceramic cartridges back into the filters. They last a long time and are extremely effective at getting water out of the fuel. Hate to disparage but this was an ill-advised move by the PO. Cleabning up the exterior of the filters is ok, they'll look pretty. But your best investment is those cartridges!! And one more exclamation point for emphasis !
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Those beauties work well and last forever.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

I second all the above. I have spare elements but never have had to replace mine. They work great are easy to maintain and they work!

Now why did they go away? The reason is they lost their U.S.C.G. 162 approval because they had a drain sump. (Now only allowed on diesel setups)

Once (not on this boat) I had the same separator... water got in fuel and they stopped the flow... did not take long... dumped the water out the sump and off I went. Did it three times and it was good to go. Got me back into port where I was able to fix the problem. (bad O ring on fuel fill)

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Carl: Of course, you said you were going to replace the cart's....my old eyes and very sleepy brain glossed right over that. I found the old Perkos far superior to the "modern" ones I replaced them with for a lot of money.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

I know I'm asking on an old post, but I'm having what looks like fuel filter problems. Engines start and idle, but stall when under load, or when advancing throttle. Cleaned Perko filters in Chem Dip, and ran well for a short while then problem returned. Am being told to replace Perkos with "modern" screw on filter/water separators. Everyone here seems to disagree. Would welcome any thoughts.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Those Perkos, as I praised in my two yr old post, were great. Before you chuck them, look at another frequent culprit: the little thumb sized filters at the mouth of the carb. I think they are CG-11. They were for me, with the symptoms you describe (couldn't get the engine revving over about 1200-1700 rpms). Be careful not to bend the hard copper line feeding the fuel into the carb. The fitting was very easy for me to remove, a sort of bear to get screwed back on because the threads needed to mate exactly . Let us know what you find here and whether this was helpful
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

Joel,
Thanks for the input. Since my post I called Perko who won't sell retail, but has plenty in stock. Their part number is 0324001ELM for the 1 3/4" jobs and 0324002ELM for the bigger ones.
With that p/n I had no trouble finding them and ordered a couple more. I didn't really want to replace them with the "modern" stuff, and now won't.
I just rebuilt my carburetors a couple years ago, and don't think the problem is with the screens, but when I replaced a fuel pump I ended up buying a tubing bender to redo the plumbing because it twisted itself into a mess while removing the fitting. :-)
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.