Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Postby carl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Today I removed both of the Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separators out of my 32' Sedan. They are stamped Perko Model 299. These are in my opinion a very robust, old school design and I'm not getting rid of them, in fact I really appreciate the quality that went into their design and manufacture. They both opened up without any struggle and I did not need a vice or pipe wrench, I removed the lids and the drain plugs by hand, tapping the wrenches with a short sharp shock from a ball peen hammer and that's all it took. These housings are a heavy brass or naval bronze of good quality. A previous owner removed the Perko filter elements probably because there are screw on fuel filters between these Perkos and the carburetors that do the fine filtering. These Perkos are dirty, lots of grit in the bowls, I attached a picture of the contents I drained out of just one of the bowls into a plastic cup. I need to clean them up in the blast booth with glass bead and purchase new elements. I'll post more pictures as this overhaul progresses. It brings me great satisfaction working through this boats many systems one by one. In this system I've already removed the fuel tanks from the boat and cleaned them out, also cleaned out all of the fuel lines and I'm installing new fuel pumps and all new hoses/clamps, lastly I will be rebuilding the carburetors.
Attachments
Perko 1.JPG
Perko 2.JPG
Perko 3.JPG
Last edited by carl on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Perko Fuel Filter/Water Separator Model 299

Postby jralbert » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Urging you to put the Perko ceramic cartridges back into the filters. They last a long time and are extremely effective at getting water out of the fuel. Hate to disparage but this was an ill-advised move by the PO. Cleabning up the exterior of the filters is ok, they'll look pretty. But your best investment is those cartridges!! And one more exclamation point for emphasis !
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:45 am

Joel,
As I noted above in my initial topic: "I need to clean them up in the blast booth with glass bead and purchase new elements". And that is exactly what I did last night, The filter elements are still available online, I purchased two of them from Jamestown Distributers for around $15.00 each. Upon opening the housing for the first time I was surprised to find no elements inside and knew I was going to replace them both with new ones as I consider these Perkos the primary filter/separators in the fuel system. Thank You.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Postby Fastjeff » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:48 am

Those beauties work well and last forever.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington

barkleydave
Site Admin

Postby barkleydave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:25 am

I second all the above. I have spare elements but never have had to replace mine. They work great are easy to maintain and they work!

Now why did they go away? The reason is they lost their U.S.C.G. 162 approval because they had a drain sump. (Now only allowed on diesel setups)

Once (not on this boat) I had the same separator... water got in fuel and they stopped the flow... did not take long... dumped the water out the sump and off I went. Did it three times and it was good to go. Got me back into port where I was able to fix the problem. (bad O ring on fuel fill)

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain

jralbert
Site Admin

Postby jralbert » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:54 am

Carl: Of course, you said you were going to replace the cart's....my old eyes and very sleepy brain glossed right over that. I found the old Perkos far superior to the "modern" ones I replaced them with for a lot of money.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD