Replacing 2 Chysler 318's

Khacha
New poster

Replacing 2 Chysler 318's

Post by Khacha »

I have a 1984 Marinette 28 and I want to replace both engines. They were used on the Chesapeake and I have no idea what kind of life they experienced before I ended up with the boat. The only info I got from the yard where the boat was left was that "one engine ran and the other didn't." The starboard engine is burnt out for sure, the exhaust manifolds rotted and in pieces. The port engine looks okay, but I am figuring rebuilding is the way to go. Most of the advice I have gotten was to walk away from the boat, but I just like that aluminum hull, superstructure, etc. I've looked at diesel. That's not gonna happen mostly due to cost. I am not worried about the noise, and I like the reliability and safety of diesel, but I am sticking with the 318's because that is how the boat was set up. I am not looking to do 30 knots, and I have considered repowering with a single 318, but resetting prop and rudder assembly seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. I am leery of remanufactured engines due to raw water / salt water exposure to the block. Is that a factor of concern? I was an engineer in the Coast Guard so I can handle a rebuild. And I just need a little bit of an idea on how to tackle this. I have the ability to pull the engines and a shop to work in. So a rebuild is doable depending on the condition of the blocks. Or would it make more sense to buy new blocks and whatever parts I need to finish it off that I can't swap out of the old engines, or just try to find new engines? If I am looking for turnkey new engines does anyone have a source?
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Replacing 2 Chysler 318's

Post by jralbert »

There are multiple sources for marine engines. I had a good experience using Jasper remans when I burned out both engines some yrs ago. at that time, the engines were under about $2K ea... labor at the yard (I didn't have the skill) ran another $6K. But you can save the labor because of your background and knowledge, of course.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Khacha
New poster

Post by Khacha »

Thanks! I have had luck with Jasper in trucks. Didn't know they did marine engines. I will check it out. I have been looking at a lot of reman sites. I am little confused about exactly what they sell you - block, heads, marine manifolds. It seems like many of them just sell the block and you gotta source everything else thru a parts distributor. I guess it's probably best to contact a rep and go thru the details.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Look through my thread on here called sunken 32'. For the most part parts are plentiful. I bought two junk yard core 318's, I think they were 150/each, a rebuild kit ($250 or so if you dont need pistons), I did however spend $1000 on each engine when it came to the heads. Its a fairly standard rebuild. Comparing the crank/piston/and block numbers, the short blocks are the same (aside from freeze plugs, reverse rotation knurling, piston orientation, etc. ) Don't be afraid of it.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Most reman engines will be in long block form. No intake, valve covers or accessories installed. If you have the ability to build your own engines, go for it. Use what is good from the old engines and replace what is not. Go to a junkyard and find a couple of 318 truck engines to start with. That is your best "base engine" mostly because it had antifreeze in it all of its life. If that is the route you go, there are many people here that can help.

318/340/360 marine engines pop up on ebay and craigslist from time to time. That can be a good option.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

As a professional mechanic for the last 25 years, and spent time working in a shop that was a Jasper dealer, my advise is DON"T DO IT. Every, and I mean every jasper we installed suffered a catastrophic engine failure within the first month of use. The shop owner eventually quit selling them because of lost revenue, and I ended up building them myself, in house cheaper, and never had one fail. There may well be some very reputable engine re-man companies out there. Swapping a blown motor in a car/truck is a breeze...in a Marinette sedan, not so much. Do some research, compare warranties, get everything in writing. Putting her back to the original configuration ( i.e. dual V8 Chryslers)is the cheapest & fastest way to get her back on the water.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

That was the main reason I built my own engines. I have the majority of the instruments to measure parts and I've put together a few engines.....most of which ran great LOL. So that being said, I did the work, I know what I did do and didn't do, my only advice is have a reputable shop build you a set of heads. The heads need at least stainless valves, or you can keep the old sodium filled valves. Most guys won't grind the sodium filled valves for safety reasons.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Just pick mine up from the yard yesterday, complete rebuilds including struts, cutlass bearings, rebuilt transmissions, starters, alternators, water pumps, exhaust manifolds, carburetors, everything. Bill fell $18 shy of $15000, mine like yours originally came from salt water, although the last twenty years have been in fresh, salt takes its toll. As Javalin390 stated "DON'T DO IT" could not agree more, find a reputable builder who will stand behind his work, you'll probably pay a little more but not much. I might also add a local shop. 318 is a good engine, mine were rebuilt bone stock other than being bored 30 over. Painted the hull while it was out of the water, redoing the floor over the weekend. Although a work in progress I know in the end, probably will never be one, I'll have a good looking, RELIABLE classic.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I used a rebuilt block from marinepowerservice.com in New Jersey and was very satisfied. They pre-break them in on a dyno, so the cam is ready to go and the oil pressure is spot on.

Motor ran perfectly for years.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
GregM
Tin star

Post by GregM »

I bought a long block from Rapido Marine (http://www.rapidomarine.com/) this spring. Its not in the boat yet but price was good at 1700'ish and shipping was about 150 from florida to kentucky. I've had a few questions and was able to call and talk a person. So far so good.