Replacing 2 Chysler 318's

yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Replacing 2 Chysler 318's

Post by yooper »

I went through an engine replacement and could write a book about it. A horror story. I studied long block suppliers and picked one out. The mechanic talked me into using his supplier. He put in in the hold and discovered it was the wrong rotation. They rebuilt the engine in the hold instead of on the shop floor. Took me a day to clean out the beer cans and cigarette butts. I had to replace a lot of parts in spite of the fact it was a lake boat.

Your skills may bail your out. I got another boat with 2 low hours 318's. They run good now. I had to learn how to clean the fuel system, redo the carbs and distributers and redo the starting circuts. If the distributers need tiny springs for the throwout weights or you can't time the engines. If you can't time the engines the engine they will never run right. I wrote a lot of posts on these subjects but they seem to have gone to old post heaven.

Take your time and check out a lot of internet sources. This video is 7 years old but it impressed me and I called them for some tips.
https://youtu.be/72QwwG5X4XU or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QwwG5 ... e=youtu.be
bback5
New poster

Post by bback5 »

I just rebuilt the Starboard engine last year and bought one of the last reverse rotation camshafts that I could find. Good Luck with that. I found a used block to work with and did all but the carb work with the help of my son. I have less than $ 1000.00 in the overhaul. 400 of that was the new camshaft. Also with that being said i have decided to put my 1975 32' Sedan Fly bridge up for sale or part it out. The boat is located in Sandusky Ohio. Health Issues and Grand Children now stand in my way with getting it redone and back in the water. Let me know if you are interested.
Difrenzi

Post by Difrenzi »

I just got a quote from Jasper, the 318 is right at $3,000 now. They need to know what rotation the motor needs to be. Sounded like there was one ready to ship.
Difrenzi

Post by Difrenzi »

Hi Greg, is your remanded motor still running in Kentucky. I might need one. 318 single 28’
diFrenzi
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Just thought of this: Drag racers often use a gear driven camshaft instead of a chain drive. Mopar small blocks are still popular with racers, so one might be able to get one. Why? It reverses the direction of the cam. Now, with the engine running assbackwards, that makes the distributor and oil pump turn the right direction...I think?

I'm getting a headache!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Just the cam and anything it drives will be going the other direction. Crankshaft won't.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Gear drives on std rotation engines have a drive gear, idler gear and cam gear. Cam and crank spin same direction. Gear drives on reverse rotation chevys only have crank and cam gears. Even on the chevys the cam is ground for the reverse firing order.

If anybody needs 318s I have a pair in west michigan that need a new home. They were running when pulled.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Opinions will cover the gambit on this subject.
Ask yourself.... Are you in this Yacht for the long haul ? ( 15+ years )

Rebuilds for short term are generally a reasonable solution however you must be prepared to replace ALL the stuff on the rebuild. Carb, fuel etc.

I have owned mine now for 15 years been fantastic and the hull is sound as new. My engines are original and run good for their age.
At my age... I do not expect to be boating on the M many more years so rebuilds would work for me.

Consider are you doing all the work in an out? On a Sedan it is real pain!
Yard rates are running upwards of $135 bucks per hour ! Ouch

Now you can not replace an M for what they are worth. A nice M is only $20+ grand new engines will add little to value.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain