Help needed explaining marine power 350s

jennis9
Tin star

Help needed explaining marine power 350s

Post by jennis9 »

I am interested in finding a 32 express flybridge. I received a message from a seller that said the boat was an 85 and had been repowered with marine power sport PAC 350s.

I need some help understanding this... as one of the reasons I love the thought of owning a marinette is the twin 318 chryslers -- or other repowers with the ease of finding parts, etc.

Can anyone let me know how the power pac 350s impact things? Like/dislike, good idea?

Doing some research and want to see what other owners think.

Thanks in advance, js9
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Help needed explaining marine power 350s

Post by Busia »

I have never heard of the Power Pac 350, but I put Crusader 350's in mine. You can get lots of 318's but all the accessories are getting harder to find (or impossible) and can be very expensive. Was cheaper for me to get the Crusader (Chevy) engines. I understand that the Volvo 350 also uses the Chevy block. Working on other Volvo equipment, I would never consider them because their parts are so expensive. I would Google the Power Pac 350. If you want to learn about the ease of finding parts and prices, read some of the threads here.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
jennis9
Tin star

Post by jennis9 »

Thanks for the reply, I had a feeling it might be a typo from the owner. Had never heard of it myself.

I am finding that in looking for the boat we want, there were two where the guys bought the boat, don't know much about them and want to sell. I'm not as comfortable with that as I have always bought my boats from guys who loved the boat, didn't really want to sell, but they weren't using them like they had. And they had a lot of information on them... a certain control wasn't tuned in yet, this needs a little part, never used this thing but it works. I'm not used to asking questions and getting vague answers. Makes me think something is not right. I know the boats I'm looking at will have character and need some tlc

Power on this one just might be crusader or Volvo... I'll do a little more digging in the forum. Thanks for the info.
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Marine power, crusader, mercruiser, volvo, omc, and others all used the chevy 350 block. The main difference in all of them is electrical(distributor,alternator, etc.) and exhaust manifolds. I have a '76 28 express and repowered with 350's. I can't give you a brand, because I have the Johnny Cash model, one piece at a time. Mine has one OMC block, one Marine power reverse rotation block, crusader exhaust manifolds, mercruiser thermostat housing, volvo crankshaft driven raw water pumps, etc. I work at a marina, and got a hold of two blocks, and then used what I could find that would fit, and order other stuff to replace the stuff that didn't fit. I believe that the 32 has more room under the floor, so I think any of the 350's are a good option. I will start a new post one hear in the future about my swap, which I am glad I did.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Here's some thought...Crusaders are usually blue, Mercruisers are usually black, I've seen Volvo's that are red, etc...What color are they?
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Black, right? John Hall had a couple in his 32 footer and they ran strong. (Sounded just like Chryslers, by the way.)

Good engines.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I think this is a motor Michiganmotorz sells. Seem company is out of Louisiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6UqgtvlVLE

Depending on how the swap was done, this would be a good setup with parts easily available.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

http://marineenginedepot.com/20054/0/Me ... e-Package/

Info on the company who built the motors.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL