reverse rotation engines

Harryb
Tin star

reverse rotation engines

Post by Harryb »

Hi all, does a reverse rotation motor use a different distribtor drive gear or can I use any 318 distribtor and oil pump drive gear from napa or some other auto parts supplier for my reverse engine. Thanks
1987 32 f/b sedan with twin 318's Docked on florida's nature coast
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: reverse rotation engines

Post by Fastjeff »

The gears driving the oil pump/ distributor are made to turn them backwards. The RR distributor has a collar around it to absorb the trust loads from the gears since it rotates in the opposite direction. So....you need the RR distributor but not the oil pump (that is the same).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Thanks Jeff, I have everything for the reverse running engine except the the drive gear that runs the distributor and oil pump can I use the drive gear I got from napa or does it have to be a special one just reverse running motors. I have new long block just not the distributor drive gear.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Let me know if you need the parts. I should have a few sets.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

Thanks Eric I found the parts at Dons Marine Slavage in Clearwater. Dons has several LM318's laying around and all kinds of boat parts and accesories to look through. I have found that a reverse rotation motor has a special distribtor drive and only that one must be used.
metalmanbret
New poster

Post by metalmanbret »

What am I missing here. Distributors are the same. It's the cam that has the gear reverse ground to make the distributor turn the same direction. Since the cam is turning the opposite direction, the collar is used to keep the distributor from riding up.
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

Yes both distributors are exactly the same .There is no such thing as a reversing distributor for these motors. Just check with Prestolite, holly pertronix, you can call Hurrikain Marine . I checked with all of them , the part # for both distributors is the same. Do not waist your time looking for a reversing distributor, It simply does not exist.
Bob
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG
Does this look the same as the normal rotation distributor?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Harryb
Tin star

Post by Harryb »

The gear that drives the distribtor and the oil pump is different and only a reverse rotation one will work for a reverse rotation motor.
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

Pull that collar off it is the exact distributor. That collar is not part of that distributor you must reove it and use it on the new distributor.If you can find a part # for this so called reversing distributor please share it .
You can check with every manufacturer the cw and ccw motors use the exact part #. I know I have done my reserch.I have also pulled the distributor off the cw motor and put it on the ccw motor.They are the same!!!!
Again if you can find a part # that is different for a reversing distributor,please share it.I assure you that you will not find one because it does not exist.
Btw the gear on that distributor is exactly the same as the other one.
Bob