What to do?

legendlc
Aluminum Star

What to do?

Post by legendlc »

So I may have made a mistake but I purchased a 37 double cabin that has been sitting for 8 years on the hard. The boat was pulled for some work and updates etc. The owner passed away and it has been sitting for 8 years. Everything "seems" to be winterized but further inspection needed. I made a offer without a survey expecting to be laughed at but the estate wanted out of it and the storage fees and took my offer. Now I have a unknown condition 37 M I need to get to my home and begin seeing what I have to work with. I have checked only the 12v system and found every single thing was still operable. Heck only 1 light didn't work and there were a pack of replacements for that onboard. My background is in new cruiser sales and currently automation control engineer. I have rebuilt a few engines in my day and not scared of a rebuild if needed, which I assume it will but have zero evidence of that. Wondering what all to look into and in what order. I know very much about new engines and boats and even sold the first and second Volvo IPS set up boats in North America several years ago. I do not know Chrysler 440's and what to do with old boats that have been sitting. I am guessing pull the plugs and get some MMO or other penetrating oil into the cylinders and see if they turn over? That is about as far as I know. I am guessing packing glands need repacked all impellers need replaced etc........
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: What to do?

Post by yooper »

You didn't make a mistake you started on an adventure. This forum had all of the information you will need but some of it went to old post heaven. Thats OK because some of us old farts don't mind telling a story over and over and over. The Chrysler engines want to run and so will run badly for a long time. Your fuel, electrical and cooling systems have to be spot on. There is no plug in analyzer - it is all old school. Here are some subjects for you to research. How to drain the old gas. How to clean the tank and fuel lines. Clean or rebuild carburetors. Clean up the distributors and replace those nasty little throw-out weight springs. Test engine gauge sensors and ignition circuits. Test cooling (impellers, thermostats). Check hydraulics (steering, trim tabs). Once it runs put on some bottom paint and get it in the water where it belongs. Remember we are here to help. I guess it is a good idea to carefully see if the motor turns over. I just hooked up a battery and let er rip.
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Haha great info there, I am trying to get idea on height to tell transporters now to get her close to me to start this process. I had been following one of the members issues with distributors and testing electronic ones. I head that the engines were started and ran 4 years ago but can't prove that info. We are excited to start this process. I have been searching for all the info I can but it is getting harder to find for sure. I think I will soak the Pistons in case the rings are stuck and see if she wants to turn over.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Welcome, by the way. Yooper, as well as many others on here have any info you will ever need, and his list is a good starting point of items to inspect and test before dropping it in the water. I'd also recommend pulling the zincs off and cleaning the mating surfaces, and make sure the CPAC works when it's in the water. A funny thing Yooper mentioned is the fact that a Mopar engine loves to run, and will still run no matter how poorly it is maintained. As a teen, I owned a 72 Dodge Dart with a 318. The ignitions points were so burned up the the point contacts were completely burned away and arching off the little points bracket ! That car would not only run, but it ran great !!
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Wow that is great info. I have been snooping around here for a little over a year now. I made some post 1 year ago next month about this particular boat. My family had some pretty serious health issues and I litteraly spent 5 months in the hospital with my daughter and then my wife so nothing happened about the boat. I finally reached out to the previous owner and made a offer expecting to be moving on and just reading about everyone in this forums adventures. Instead I now own a 37 double that I need to get from Indiana down to Lake Cumberland KY for me to start a rehab on. I will have lots of questions as there is zero in the way of manuals etc with her. I saw a post a few days ago with a amazing wiring diagram and have been studying that. I am very familiar with newer boat systems so this is a slap in the face for me to be this lost. I just can't believe these boats are not as popular as they should be in my opinion. They should last well beyond most soft fiberglass boats of their era. I love older boats I just do not get the newer designs were everything is focused on the cabin area. I would be happy with sparce amenities down below. I am a boater to be outside to sit, lounge, nap, grill etc outside. The cabin is just a place to go to sleep untill the sun comes up and I can do it all over again. I am very anxious to see how these motors look. I am expecting them to be siezed from sitting but am hoping they aren't lol. Figured it would emotionally be better to plan for the worst and hope for the best lol. We have a lot of work to do but getting her home is the first priority.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY