Engine Drain Plugs

lsd673
New poster

Engine Drain Plugs

Postby lsd673 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm

I spent an informative 30 min searching and found lots of good info, but not what i was wondering about. The engine block/manifold plugs are out on my 318's (think i have four or five for each side - of varying sizes)... do these get re-installed with bare thread or should they have something like Teflon tape or pipe dope applied? Thanks all.
1982 32' FB Sedan
Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON

(For Sale c/w tri-axle hwy trailer)

javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Engine Drain Plugs

Postby javalin390 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:26 pm

I went through a similar situation during my first winterizing. In order to save some money, I decided that I would winterize the engines myself, and I'm glad I did. First thing I learned was that all the threaded drain plugs, both the lower two in the block and all the ones in the exhaust manifolds, were made of plain steel. that would have been ok if your engines are closed cooling, but for raw water...After breaking off several in the exhaust manifolds, and spending a couple hours getting the four out of the blocks, I ordered all stainless steel plugs for replacement. Ended up having to remove all 4 exhaust manifolds to extract the broken, stripped and rotted plugs ( that was a lot of work, by the way). Since the manifolds were off, re-machined all gasket surfaces, cleaned and inspected them for rust damage, etc...I'm sure glad I did, as it likely saved a lot of headache down the road (like water in the combustion chambers) With the new stainless plugs, I coat them with Teflon pipe dope, and now draining the water every winter and filling with anti-freeze is a breeze, and saves me a couple hundred addition dollars doing it myself. If you already have all of them out, buy stainless and yes, coat the threads.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio

lsd673
New poster

Postby lsd673 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks for this... from what i can tell, my plugs are all brass or bronze... i am thinking brass ... ok to use? and should i still 'coat' the threads? ... I also note that not all the plugs have been removed, likely because some could not (be removed)...
1982 32' FB Sedan
Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON

(For Sale c/w tri-axle hwy trailer)

bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby bill » Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 am

BigM
Hello and Welcome to the Marinette Forum. :D
Brass plugs are fine and use thead sealer. :idea: I would recomend teflon paste for the plug
threads.

bill

ps When you get a chance please enter a signature to your posts. ;)
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired

Third Owner bill