engines seem locked up

legendlc
Aluminum Star

engines seem locked up

Post by legendlc »

So I was just able to get my new to me big M home and started going through the systems. I was able to get a socket on the crank nut and with my ratchet and no pry bar I was not able to turn over either engine. My boat was a great deal and I did not get a survey or do a lot of recon. My 440's are closed cooled and I have receipts for a rebuild in 2000 on both engines. They were winterized and fogged but have set for around 8 years. Oil looks fresh in both motors but looks very low in both of them. I was hoping a accessory such as a water pump or alternator was froze but I assume that the belt would slip on the pulley if that were the case......So I am guessing I am looking at 2 locked up 440's. Does anyone have any ideas on where to go from here? I have heard about pulling the plugs and running trans fluid, mmo, penetrating oil etc on the pistons. Has anyone ever had success with this? If they are a total loss how would one go about rebuilding them and getting them out of the boat? I feared this the case after sitting so long but after I saw all the receipts I was optimistic I would get lucky. I should have known lol. I think Im still okay for my purchase price but it looks like its going to be a long time before she gets her belly wet again.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: engines seem locked up

Post by Busia »

If you are not a mechanic now, you will be by the time you are done. Simple problem solved with a lot of time and hard work, hopefully not a lot of money. First, have good tools, don't waste your time and money on junk. (don't waste it on Snap-on either). I would remove all the fan belts -save them- then all the spark plugs. Pump lots of oil into each cylinder and down the carb too if you want. I like transmission fluid, but any light oil or MMO. Let it set and do it again. Lots of oil, if it runs out all over that is good. It's just good clean oil and you can wipe up the mess later. Try to turn the crankshaft. Both ways. If it breaks free good, put more oil in them. If not, more oil. When you break it free, oil it up and keep turning it. When it turns easily, more oil and spin it with the starter. Hopefully it is rings stuck to the cylinders and you can break them free. Rust is never good, but if you can oil them up and spin them I would run them as is and see if you can get by. That said, if you have unlimited cash and want less worries, pull them and rebuild them.-- Good luck!
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

When purchasing I assumed they had issues but after seeing all receipts I became optimistic. How does one even pull these engines out? My thought is if they unstick, on startup I would spin a bearing if it is rusted also lol.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Will second the above, pull the plugs, liberally spray the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster, let sit for a day or so, disconnect the coil, lay a large towel over the engine and try and turn it over. Hopefully the fogging just has them gummed up real bad and the solvents will free them. Like that "unlimited cash" part.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

All good ideas. I usually get them to rotate by using a pry bar on the flywheel teeth. You get more leverage that way.

Good luck! I have a feeling you'll be okay.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Bearings won't rust to the crankshaft as they are not iron to iron. Worst are cast iron rings to a cast iron block. Hopefully you have chrome rings. Your receipts might show part numbers for the rings. Till then, put on old clothes, use lots of oil and hope for the best. Change the engine oil often. Before you run them and soon after.--Good Luck and take lots of pictures
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Thanks yes the first owner did lots to the boat, rebuillt engines, all new stainless rails, imron paint, closed cooling, new exhaust mufflers, new wiring, spare everything, it's the second owner that I worry about the service side. I know it was fogged and winterized plus it is already closed cooled so hoping hoping I can get lucky. What do they say first owner is the one the takes care of things the second owner is the party boat and the third is a labor of love. I think I heard that somewhere. PS how do I upload pics. I tried to find instructions but must have missed them.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Here she is in 2003 o think this was witihn a couple of years of her last days on the water before she went to a storage yard.
Attachments
phpRrrGnkPM.jpg
phpRrrGnkPM.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 13060 times
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Nice boat.

Jeff
Attachments
Marinette.JPG
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Thanks for the rotation. I have a lot to learn on the big M's. I absolutely love the design and the construction. It blows me away to look and see how well they are put togeather. I purchased a unknown project that at one time was a nice boat. Currently I have lots of investigating to do. It is somewhat overwhelming but I will manage. Getting these engines freed up is priority number 1.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY