318 Timing?

GregM
Tin star

318 Timing?

Post by GregM »

I have managed to get my first marine engine swap under my belt. Thanks to several question answered here. I have the engine running and I rotated the distributor until I got the engine starting easy and sounds good (also got rid of the white smoke from exhaust). However I was wondering what should the timing be set too officially if I put a timing light on it? I have heard 6 degrees before and I have heard some retard the timing. Can you guys provide some clarification?

Thanks in advance!
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: 318 Timing?

Post by jralbert »

Don't ask why I keep an engine manual for a boat I have not owned for years - I guess it's for moments like this - but it's listed at 5 degrees BTC in the manual
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
GregM
Tin star

Post by GregM »

Thank you Joel!
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

5 degrees is correct, just had mine recheck and adjusted. Port engine kept stalling at idle, set at 5 degrees then a slight twist to fine tune.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Rlfa83
New poster

Post by Rlfa83 »

I'd do it by vacuum gauge. With the age of these engines, I'm sure the damper has started to slip.
Warm the engine up and set it to 16" of vacuum. You'll then know for sure it's in time.
'85 Marinette 32' Sedan
Twin Chrysler 360's
Catawba Island. OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Quite possible. The flywheel does "slip", however, so that's where I always time them. (There's a little rubber cover over a hole in the bell housing where you aim the timing light.)

If you've never done it that way, the fixed pointer is an arrow that's (cleverly) used for both rotations: The 5 degrees advance is the side of the arrow in either direction. Told you it was clever!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington