Compression check on 318’s

Boomer
New poster

Compression check on 318’s

Post by Boomer »

I recently have been trying to buy a marinette 32sedan, the boat has gone thru some updates and is a nice looking boat for its age but there are not hour meters on the engines, I asked the owner if I could do a compression test on each engine and was denied which really surprised me, the deal has fallen thru because of this and he says he has buyers lined up who do not want to check the compression, this boat is for sale on this site, I am curious of what others think
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Compression check on 318’s

Post by Fastjeff »

RUN away!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Questions to all....
For those anticipating the purchase of a boat...
1. Have you enlisted the services of a reputable boat surveyor?

For those having purchased/or would know first hand...
1. Does the survey of a boat NORMALLY include a check of engine compression / some other means of determining engine condition without running the engine (thinking a winterized engine here...).

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

I would immediately be suspect something is wrong. When I purchased mine it ran so well I elected not to do a compression check, bad mistake. In the two years of ownership both engines have been replaced and it was not cheap. If the boat is in good shape make him an offer less the cost of two engines.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Boomer
New poster

Post by Boomer »

Thank you for the replies but I think the owner is hiding something he really tried to make me feel like I was asking for the moon and I should trust his judgment, our first marinette had a full survey and included a compression check/pulled out of water ect and that boat has hours meters with low hours
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

A compression check paid for by you is a reasonable request and denied the inspection, you are smart to just move on because there's always another boat for sale. That one is history
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

I work along side surveyors checking engines and drives. A compression check is a good idea, but not always necessary.

If you were denied the compression test because you were going to do it, then I am not surprised. Not that you couldn't do it.

If you were denied having a marine technician do the compression check, I would be concerned.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Like I said, RUN away!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

If the owner will not allow a compression check, lower the offer by $10K. You will spend that much replacing the engines and rebuilding the transmissions. If you pull the engines, do the trannys at the same time. As others said, run.

The PO for my 32 allowed me to do the tests. I was not super happy with the results and we negotiated.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat