V drive question

Hiramsaint
Tin star

Re: V drive question

Post by Hiramsaint »

barefoot99 wrote:on 32's in 1985 or 86 they switched to 1.5 to 1 velvet drive transmissions. All the 32's before(1970- 1984) that and most smaller M's have the 1 to 1 and run a 14 " prop. Both shaft sizes were used.

The 1.5 to1 run a 16" prop (1985- 1991) . A lot of 1:1 trans run the 1.25" shaft on the 32 model, not sure about a 28.
I believe I also looked at this boat about 7 years ago at Caney Creek marina on Watts Bar
Good luck M's rock !
I understand ratios but is there any benefits to one over the other. The reason for the question is: we are planning at least a half "loop" trip in the near future. I'm wanting to be able to do a slow cruise so we can soak up the experience and the sights, get decent fuel economy but be able to kick it up a notch if necessary ( storm, sickness, emergency, ETC.). I've heard dual engines are preferable but the only reason I've heard so far is for docking and redundancy. I believe for my purposes a single would be fine but either will work for me. I really have no cruiser experience so forgive my ignorance, I'm attempting to fix that. My only experience so far is with a number of smaller runabout's and a 34' Drifter houseboat we tooled around on Lake Allatoona with for 10 years--they were all outboards.
Matt
No boat yet but in the hunt
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

Fastjeff wrote:.." I'm looking at a 28' with dual 318's and 1:1 V-drives."

Vee drives? Don't recall ever seeing them in a 28 Marinette.

Jeff
I thought that's what the ad said but no worries, the ad is gone now as I suspected it would. It's okay, there's plenty more out there so the hunt can continue.
Matt
Wilfred
Tin star

Post by Wilfred »

Confusion between V-drive and Velvet Drive
W. J. Brockman
1984 Marinette Express Bridge
Twin 318s 235 hp
Bolles Harbor, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Ahhhh!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

Yes...my ignorance is on full display. Is there a quick laymans explanation of the difference between the two?
Matt
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Sometimes the v drive gearbox is bolted directly to the transmission. Sometimes it is connected to the transmission (or engine in race applications) by a driveshaft.
Attachments
20180709_184923.jpg
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

So, am I correct in thinking that a velvet drive is more of a direct drive and a V-drive is a 180* reduction drive of sorts?
Matt
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Velvet drive is a division of borg warner. They make both conventional inline transmissions and v drives.

Both inline and v drives can be 1:1 ratio or any number of reduction ratios. Some v drives actually have an overdrive ratio.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Hiramsaint
Tin star

Post by Hiramsaint »

Thanks for the help fellas. I'm still not quite getting but I will research so when I buy, I'll know what I'm buying.
Matt
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

The only BigMs that (to my knowledge anyway) came with v-drives are the houseboats (a/k/a "river cruisers"). With a V-drive the front of the engine faces the stern so the output shaft faces forward. The actual v-drive has an input shaft on top mated to the engine/transmission and the output is attached to the propeller shaft.

I tried to attach some images so you get the idea, but if you google "v-drive boat" you will see similar images.

The advantage to a v-drive is the engine can be placed farther aft though in most designs that isn't really an advantage. Inboard houseboats are usually v-drives as are some ski boats.

The BigM s had velvet drive transmissions so someone may be confusing that with the v-drive.

I hope this is helpful.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (28.72 KiB) Viewed 13457 times
image.png
image.png (58.32 KiB) Viewed 13457 times
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio