360s stalling

Bretman
New poster

360s stalling

Post by Bretman »

I have a 32' marinette fisherman 1988 after two to 3 hrs of trolling for walleye the engines start to stall. I can start them run them in idle throttle them up but the second I engage them in gear they stall. Actually I run one engine only about 1-1/2 hrs and when it stall I start the other one it lasts about 1/2 hr before it starts to stall. So at this point I can start both engines idle them throttle them up and the second i put them in gear they stall. After waiting an hour I can put them in gear and head in and get back to the dock with no issues. Twin 360s, change to electronic ignition, rebuilt engines a few yrs ago, rebuilt carbs quadrajets. Something to do with heating up I'm guessing . Happens to both engines put fuel filters in checked and cleaned the ball valves clean the carbs put a new ballast resistor on the port engine new cap and rotor also on the port side. Fresh gas treated with sta-bil for marine. Whats my boats problem!!! fishing-tips
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 360s stalling

Post by ddependo »

Coils break down when they get hot. can't see both going out same time. Check that your fuel vent lines that are not clogged or kinked. Some electronic ignitions don't use ballast resistors.
Good luck, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Bretman
New poster

Post by Bretman »

Do you know Mallory ignitions need the ballast resistor
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

When it quits, check if you have ignition. Just pull the coil wire from the distributor and place it close to something grounded on the block. (Do you want to just hold it? That will also show you if you have a spark.) Crank it over and watch for a spark. If you have a spark, check for fuel. Pull the flame arrestor off, look down the throat of the carb. Pump the throttle and see if the accelerator pump is squirting fuel into the carb. Find the problem and then you know what to fix. Do not just start changing parts.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

This sounds like vapor lock. At idle, there is very little air and fuel movement in the engine compartment. When the fuel lines get hot, the fuel vaporizes. An easy test is to put ice or ice water soaked rags along the fuel line when the problem happens, then see if the engines will idle.
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

You might have a slow flooding issue. If so, the motors will idle okay for a period of time, but they are running too rich and that eventually catches up with them.

The other possibility is the carbs are too lean--that too will cause this, but it usually makes them bog and backfire on throttle up. Is that the case?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Bretman,
I feel your pain man.
Check out my posting "360 chryslers running like crap." :geek:
Had my friend Ron come over and set up the timing and adjusted the carbs
So far all is good. Planning a trip to Put in Bay Ohio a 75 mile round trip. I will let you know the outcome. :D
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
pbaker32s

Post by pbaker32s »

I had a similar situation last year and chased my tail trying to figure out what the problem was, I like you ..thought maybe it was he related to heat or fuel, It would run like a champ at the dock , I could go out for hours then It would start stalling and didn’t want to restart .the last thing I replaced was the spark plug wires because they looked like brand-new...... it was my problem all along ..a few misfires here and there would start fouling the plugs and start the stalling issues. It was very unnoticeable until it started stalling. After some time it would restart and run perfect. The spark plug wires will have you chasing other problems. I know firsthand how they will fool you into thinking you have other issues .
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

"When you're absolutely certain it's a fuel problem, it's gonna be ignition!"

Sage old advise.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington