Gaskets for San Juan Bellingham strainer

jennis9
Tin star

Re: Gaskets for San Juan Bellingham strainer

Post by jennis9 »

Jeff - thank you.
I understand how you created the O ring now>> Hollow tubing + wire that fits inside as a 'shim' for the end, then cement to compete the ring.
I just wasn't seeing it before.

bpbpater - I will make sure the gasket seals completely -- good tip.
FINALLY GOT IT!
1986 Marinette Express 32
w/twin Chrysler 318s
Located on Lake Erie
FCYC, Cleveland, OH
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

I hate to dig up an old thread but just in case someone finds this and needs these here is my experience. Currently the San Juan Gaskets are on backorder, with no lead time available (Probably Covid 19 Relate). So I went to McMaster Carr and bought a 5 pack square o-ring part number 4061T355.The standardized dash number is 429. They are 5-1/2" OD and Roughly 5" ID which leaves a 1/4" width. They are much thicker than the Original Gasket, but I had no issues installing them. Just another option for people to consider. Best part is i have 3 spares now.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

Don't forget to replace the small O-ring in the center bolt. Its not visible unless you disassemble tightening bolt.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

I need to get to that o ring too. So far i haven't noticed it leaking/sucking air. My port strainer is never full when the boat is not running. I find it odd because the boat leans that way slightly so i would think it would be more full than the starboard. When the motor is running you can see a steady stream flowing in the strainer but it never fills up completely. I can actually take the lids off without shutting the seacocks! Anyone else notice this?
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

If the bowl does not fill you most likely have a leak in the big or little o-ring.
Mine usually do that after I clean the strainers. I have to fiddle with the big o-ring to get it to seat properly. Also had to flip the tiny center o-ring last week to get the bowl to fill. The little ring gets beveled on 1 side by the plexiglass.

I also tried some silicone grease on the big o-ring and found out the darn thing slipped off the lip and would not seal very well. I found it best to treat the rubber with silicone and let it soak a bit then wipe as much excess off as possible. Seems to help keep the rubber "alive" but still holds form around the bronze lip.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

To reiterate...an air leak here will cause overheating since aerated water doesn't cool properly.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Another reason to make sure the seal is properly seated: They can get sucked into the passages. I caught mine just in time once. Pulled it out and reseated it properly. Had I not gotten lucky, things would have gotten messy
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
TomR
New poster

Post by TomR »

I just received my gaskets for my 32 Marinette Fly bridge from Orcamarine in Bellingham Washington. (360-734-6860) ask for Kim
$5 each. They are working perfectly.
Bryank97
Tin star

Post by Bryank97 »

TomR wrote:I just received my gaskets for my 32 Marinette Fly bridge from Orcamarine in Bellingham Washington. (360-734-6860) ask for Kim
$5 each. They are working perfectly.
You are lucky. I have asked 3 times now about these and told they are backordered without a lead time. I was talking to Steve. Oh well. Good to know they are still available if needed.
1988 Marinette 32 Sedan
Erie, PA
Twin 318 Chryslers 240HP
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Pool silicone pool grease works best. very sticky will holds gasket in place.
Trick is to hole the plex. cover from turning when tightening lid. Gasket will not move as easily.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain