New owner engine stall issues

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: New owner engine stall issues

Post by Fastjeff »

I've found by bitter experience that EACH battery needs its own dedicated charger.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

I'll second Fast Jeff's post, I too have learned through experience there is no substitute for dedicated chargers. Have used Newmar Chargers for years.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

To answer you question about low voltage affecting the running of the engine, yes it has a lot to do with it. Most, especially the Chrysler, electronic ignition systems, will not function properly below 9.6 volts, or function at all. The same holds true for modern engines with computer controlled fuel injection, 9.6 volts seems to be the magic number. And just like a bad ground will cause many strange electrical gremlins, an electronic device starving for voltage will begin to act stupid as well.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Had a low idle stalling issue on my port engine that was unbelievably frustrating, tried everything, finally bit the bullet and installed DUI Distributors. These engines now idle as if they were fuel injected, conferred with Trowerpower who has the same setup, this forum is a wealth of information. Used Autolite Double Platinum Plugs gapped to .055's, might also add used their wires too.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Tuggle, do you remember what part numbers for the DUI dist's ? I was thinking of making the same conversion. Are there two different part numbers for CW and CCW rotation? I looked on Summit racing's web site and they only list the reverse rotation part number.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Ordered mine directly from Performance Distributor, since both distributors turn in the same direction there is no reverse rotation designation. Had them make the wires 4" longer and on their recommendation used Autolite Double Platinum Plugs gapped at .055, as of this writing don't remember which plug but will find out and post.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Plugs used are Autolite APP65's.
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

Jim... I just purchased 2 of the PD DUI distributors. They are the same for both motors. I think they are $385 each. Part number M70820 for small block Mopar. Only available direct from Performance Distributors.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio