New owner engine stall issues

fpc310
Tin star

New owner engine stall issues

Post by fpc310 »

I recently bought an 83 32’ sedan flybridge with twin 318’s. The starboard engine seems to run nicely. However, the port dies at idle constantly. I’m not an expert on the marine 318 (although I’ve had one in my vehicle in the past), but I’m sure I will be one in no time.

There are a lot of funny things going on with the port engine.

Slow starter.. like you would expect when the battery is low.
The tachs are totally erratic
Sounds like misfiring at higher rpms
Voltage reads 10v at just above idle.
Stalls at idle

I haven’t had a chance to put a voltmeter or timing light on it yet, but this seems like a good place to start. The one thing that is bothering me is that someone put a new 3-wire alternator on this engine. Now, I’m not too familiar with this setup quite yet, but I would expect a 1-wire alternator is typical for this era? I’m hoping all of the issues I have here are simply a voltage problem and not a ECM / timing issue or worse.

Looking for some ideas on where I should start with these issues. It would also help if anyone knows a Chrysler marine mechanic in the Catawba island area. So far, I can’t seem to find one that knows much about these engines.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: New owner engine stall issues

Post by javalin390 »

Hi Todd, welcome aboard. Single wire alternators are the only way to go. If your battery is fully charged and she cranks slowly, misfires and stalls and the tach is acting wacky, sounds like it could be a combination of timing is out of wack and crossed plug wires. Firing order on the port engine is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, and the starboard engine is 2-7-5-6-3-4-8-1. Ask any of us that have Chryslers in theirs, if your plug wires are the type that have been run under the exhaust manifolds, its easy to cross the plug wires of any two cylinders. I'm a mechanic by trade, and I dock in Marblehead. Be glad to help, let me know if you need anything. Scroll through the engine & drivetrain posts to get a general idea of the many problems and their remedies. There are many knowledgeable and helpful fellows on this forum.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Look for bad ground(s) as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice. I will start here and update with the progress.
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Welcome,
When you buy a used boat you have no clue as to what the previous owner has or has not done to the engines. :(
Plug wires could look good on the outside but who knows whats going on inside? Pull the plugs and look at the tips. are the fouled ? or nice and clean with brownish tint? Checking the firing order is a very good idea. :!: Pull the cap and do rotar flick test. The springs in the distributor should return the rotor to the same position, every time the rotor is released. :shock:
Is the carb set up properly for low speed idle. The two adjusting needle valves and a tack will work.
Hopefully you have the engine book that tells you how to adjust your carb. :?:
Slow starter check voltage at starter while cranking. If it reads low say 9 or10 volts check your grounds and check the starter , it may be dragging due to excessive cranking. bearing or bushings may be bad. or may just need a good cleaning. May have to have it rebuilt. There are still a few shops that actually rebuild starters. :shock:
Good Luck
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

Is there a recommendation for a specific replacement alternator brand and model for the 318? I have a lot of conflicting recommendations for this.

Also, is there a reasoning behind the preference for the single wire type?
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

So here’s what I found. Both batteries had low voltage. There’s no battery charging system on this boat, so I put some tenders on it just to keep them up. I charged them up and I can’t make the engine in question quit now. I also replaced the dist cap just for good measure. I checked the firing order and it was correct. I’m just going To replace both batteries and shop for an appropriate charging / maintaining system for when at the dock.

I’m wondering if low batteries was my issue this whole time? Not sure.....

FWIW, the replacement alternator for my port engine was the ARCO single wire self regulating model.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Still baffled, but happy it’s running consistently (for now).
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

Be careful using non marine battery chargers on your boat. Marine certified chargers do not let even trace amounts of ac voltage to get to the batteries and ground wires. Automotive style chargers do a poor job in cleanly clipping the ac voltage to dc. As a result, the ac voltage is introduced to the battery ground wire that goes to the hull. It sets up the potential for electrolysis damage to the hull and surrounding boats. If I see anyone in my marina using an automotive battery charger, I ask them to stop the practice.

Besides electrolysis, a malfunctioning charger can also introduce ac current into the water through the boat ground, which could setup electric shock drowning for people in the water around the dock. Alternating current is very dangerous to a person's heart rhythm.
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

BPBoater...

Thanks for the explanation on why to not use automotive chargers. Had always wondered why but never taken the time to investigate - too many boat/home/other projects to do....

... and the remaining time spent trying to rest up from them!! :|

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
fpc310
Tin star

Post by fpc310 »

Great tip. I will investigate a proper charger. The ones I used said they were safe for marine, but you never know. Any specific brand recommendations?
Todd
1983 32’ SedanFlybridge
Twin 318 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio