Chrysler 360 will not start post degreasing...

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Chrysler 360 will not start post degreasing...

Post by Fastjeff »

That's the Hall effect sensor. Replace it as well--they are cheap--and it HAS to work!

Jeff

PS: You should see some resistance with a meter across the leads to it. If it's open circuit, that's the problem.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Yes, that is the pick up coil, and yes, the 8 sided thing on the distributor shaft is the reluctor. This is what is referred to as a hall effect or inductive trigger switch. It produces a magnetic signal every time one of the 8 blades passes by. Steam cleaning the engine could very well cause a pick-up coil failure. Mopar cars were notorious for that. The Chrysler electronic is a great system if one understands it. When you replace it, what a lot of mechanics don't realize, is you have to gap it just as you would gap old points, not just bolt it back in. If it is too far away from the reluctor blades, no magnetic signal will be generated. The gap is .035", I think but don't quote me. Use to be the only source for this spec was in a factory Mopar service manual, but I'm sure if googled it's online someplace.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Yeee-hah! Gonna be a good year.

Congrats.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington