Stall when warm

Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Stall when warm

Post by Leviathon »

After running the engine for some time, typically as we are coming in to dock, the Starboard engine wants to stall, and not keep idle. When I put these guys back together, I opted not to install intake manifold with the block of plates for the exhaust crossover. I have thermal choke on the carbs, so I figured you would want that open. I am wondering if the heat may be causing issues with gas in the carb. Any thoughts?
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Stall when warm

Post by Fastjeff »

I suggest you have someone eyeball the choke when you know this is going to happen and see if it's all the way open, as it should be. (Having an issue myself at the moment with a thermally operated choke that isn't opening all the way--I suspect the bimetallic element is defective.)

It's also possible that you have a slow flooding condition that 'catchs up' to you after a run. A bit too rich won't bother the motor that much on the way out, when it's not fully warmed up, but can cause trouble on the way back in.

Jeff

PS: What carbs are you running?
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Re: Stall when warm

Post by Leviathon »

Good thoughts Jeff - Rochester q-jets. I rebuilt them, but doesn't mean correctly. I often suspected the choke. I will check that out. Port engine, same set up and is fine.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan