No Fire

legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: No Fire

Post by legendlc »

Okay was able to confirm today that pick up is in gas was able to blow through it and hear bubbles. Used transfer pump to pull gas up through tank and re-primed the fuel line and it appears that we are getting gas now. New 8mm plug wires on, coil has hot spark, plugs have hot spark. Only way to get it to hit any is putting gas in the carb. Once out of every dozen attempts it will start finally and run a few seconds or just hit here and there. Last week I did have it running for maybe 45 seconds and then without any changes it wouldn't do that again. Making small adjustments to dist going both directions and it doesn't really help. Originally found tdc with compression felt on cylinder number 1 etc. What should I check next? Carb? Is there any other starting procedures besides what I have seen in the manual of 3/4 throttle?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'm still thinking it's an ignition problem. You need to station someone in the bilge (night time would be best) to see if the ignition dies before the the motor. Pick one cylinder and stick a spare plug on its wire and watch for sparking.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Attempted this tonight Jeff but motor wouldn't run long enough to see which died first. Only would fire a time or two per starting attempt. I did place a spark plugs tester inline and during cranking it was very very bright. Way different with the new wires vs the old ones.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Try some ether (starting fluid).

Good luck.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Is there a safe (SAFE!!) way to keep fuel flowing into the carb independent of the regular fuel system.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I placed a two gallon tank in the aft cabin connected to the fuel line heading to the engines. Was thinking I was getting the fuel lines primed. Plus maybe my fuel was no good although it's fresh. I forgot and left it there overnight. About 8 inches above the top of the tank. The next day the can was almost empty and my my oil was way over full. I had a block full of gas and oil. I would have never imagined it siphoning itself out.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM
Kinda sounds like the carburetor float needle is not doing its job of shutting of the gas to the bowl. :roll:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Finally found a mechanic old enough to know what he is doing on these old Chrysler's. Within 5 minutes he had mr port running. The carb is totally bad and needs a rebuild the accelerator pump isn't working at all. I am ordering kits today and he is going to rebuild them for me. It obviously wasn't running great or smooth as silk but it ran. I did run into another issue that I will be posting in another link as it pertains to the transmission.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If your carbs are those old Carter AFBs, you might have to replace them. One of mine was so porous the ethanol gas (which no doubt made it worse) would leak right through the base under vacuum and mess up the idle. (With the mixture screws all the way in, the motor was still a bit rich.) After several rebuild failed to cure the problem, I bought a set of Edelbrocks.

Jeff
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I'll keep a eye on it Jeff. I was eyeing a set of 1409's and 1410's. Hopefully the carbs turn out okay as it looks like I'll be spending a lot on all new manifolds and exhaust.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY