Drive Savers

Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Drive Savers

Post by Leviathon »

Really - so to replace these 2 pieces of plastic I am looking at about 7 bills?? Hope I can salvage the old ones. Time to open up a competitor to Globe.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Drive Savers

Post by Busia »

They are expensive but shop around. I found some places wanted twice as much as some others. --Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Did y'all put the drivesavers in or when they there when you bought the boat?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
coastie1160870
Tin star

Post by coastie1160870 »

I'm not to familure with these "drive savers" can you explain what they are, what they do, and where they are located..? I have to replace my shaft seals..( Stuffing Boxes ) And I don't know what I'm getting i'6n to.. I have a 32 Express, 1968.. Are the prop shafts all 1" and the through hull 1-1/2"..? I have seen several different sized "PSS SHAFT SEAL SETS" for sale, all the same price... I know my shaft is 1", but what is the standard size for the through hull on the 32 Express, with twin 225hp, 318's...??

Thanks for the info...
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Drive savers are 1/4 inch plastic piece that goes between the transmission and the prop shaft hub in order to isolate the shaft preventing any stray DC current to travel down to the prop and cause corrosion - I think that is close to the right answer. My 1973 32' has 1" shafts with 1 1/2 shaft logs inside diameter, and outside should be about 1 7/8". Why do you have to replace your stuffing boxes? Are they bronze or plastic? Typically I think you just replace the hose that connects the box to the log, and re-pack the box with the rope looking packing material.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Google Globe drive savers. They are 1+ inch thick plastic disks that are bolted to the transmission output flange then the prop shaft flange bolts to them. That puts the plastic in the middle so you have electrical isolation and the plastic is a weak link that hopefully will get destroyed rather than the transmission if you hit something.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
coastie1160870
Tin star

Post by coastie1160870 »

Leviathon wrote:Drive savers are 1/4 inch plastic piece that goes between the transmission and the prop shaft hub in order to isolate the shaft preventing any stray DC current to travel down to the prop and cause corrosion - I think that is close to the right answer. My 1973 32' has 1" shafts with 1 1/2 shaft logs inside diameter, and outside should be about 1 7/8". Why do you have to replace your stuffing boxes? Are they bronze or plastic? Typically I think you just replace the hose that connects the box to the log, and re-pack the box with the rope looking packing material.

I have to replace the boot, and the stainless collar that seals the prop shaft. Mine is called a dripless shaft seal, and the closest thing to replace it with that I have found is " PSS SHAFT SEAL KIT " It may not be the correct term to call it the stuffing box, but it's supposed to be the modern version of a stuffing box..
Thanks for the replies on the drive saver. I had no idea what it was.. I can see the value, if you are at risk of grounding very often.. But that does seem to be a little pricey.! But then, it might be cheap, if you ever have to replace a bent prop and prop shaft set... I hope I never have that issue.. Thanks Again..
R.A. Campbell
32 Sedan-Bridge
260 Chrysler Twins
" KOKOMO "