Steering Stuck

Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Steering Stuck

Post by Tranquilo »

Last year, I always had to work the steering free at the beginning of a trip. I assumed the issue was a lube thing. Well, I got too busy and let the boat sit in the water for 7 months without moving it and now my steering is pretty stuck (got it to pull the rudder about 2 inches but thats about it)

So I'm about to dig in and wondered what I should do to start.

The first component is the little bronze part where the cable meets the wheel. Can I lube that? Take it apart? I don't see much area for maintenance.

The second area is where it meets the rudder arm. I wanted to disconnect it from the arm but it looks very rusty and worried about breaking it.

If I disconnect it from the rudder and it still doesn't turn, my issue is the rudder bearing. I see a grease nipple on it but don't know if that does what I think it would do)

If the disconnection of the rudder arm doesn't free up the steering, it would be the wheel box thing, correct?

I'm going back out tomorrow to start troubleshooting. Thanks for any input.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Steering Stuck

Post by EWRice »

My rudder stock was seized tight in the stuffing box. The only rotation I was getting was what the stuffing box hose would twist. :cry: not good. I thought it was the steering cable at first. Rudder would turn only a few inches each way.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

UG - Mine does something similar but I cant see if its twisting because I'm turning the wheel. I'm ordering everything now so I have it if needed because the holiday is near.

Everything is so rusted, I cant even disconnect from the lever. The rudder shaft slides up and down when I try to bang the pin out.

Does anyone have specs on what cable I need (length, etc.) and can we get new forks? (the thing at the end of the cable that grabs the rudder lever)

I may have to cut everything off :(
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Have you looked into converting over to hydraulic steering, that's on my radar after the engines.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I don't see the point. Its one more thing to break and its not like I usually have to struggle with the steering. Just more money :)

Good news is that my rudder is free so I just need to find the replacement cable assy (which is obsolete)

Any ideas on what I can use to replace the unit? Any sources for the parts that connect to the rudder arm?

I can't figure out how to get the cable out of my Steelflex housing. Its like its welded in or something
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Different year boats had different makes of steering. I think I had Steermaster, made in Detroit. Most makes are out of business, a few parts are available from Glen-L boat company if you check with them. Found it to be cheaper and faster and better to just replace it all. Went with Teleflex (?) steering that is used with outboards. On the shelf and about $100. Had to make an adapter for the cable end to attach the fork. Message me if you have questions, Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

At the time I did mine of coarse it was on an upcoming Holiday weekend and took the Teleflex route and had to make a few things.(because the local dealer did not have all the part number to make a complete system.) They will have all the pcs needed to make it work if you order it. Last year helping a friend I did find the steermaster mark II cable for a 34 ft. I think they are making special runs and the order goes in once a year Glen-L Marine design is the place and it ran 400 bucks. At the end of the day we have a new cable on an old box that has been worked on in the past and he had extra parts. from my side after buying the Teleflex I have an off the shelf system that future owners can still get straight from local dealers with good part numbers. Cost and timing the main things to look at I guess.
Best of luck
Jeff
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"...Have you looked into converting over to hydraulic steering....

When I sold the 88 boat in 2011, the hydraulic steering was functioning quite well and needed about 15-20 minutes worth of maintenance in all those years. Not trying to spend your money but your time and effort in assembling, customizing, installing manual steering parts may be worth something.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Great feedback. I bought the Glen L Steelmaster cable so we'll see if it gets here in time. I'm also looking at the new system too. I like the new system idea much better for the same reason Jeff noted above (easy to get parts)

If I have to destroy the fork to get the old cable off, I'll simply go with the new style unit and return the stock cable.

Thankfully the rudder turns easily by hand (silver lining in spending $350)
Miami FL & Catawba OH