Thompson help!

Things that are of general interest.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Thompson help!

Post by EWRice »

As odd as the tittle may seem, I think this may be the place to ask for help. After all, where else does one go for info on boats using aluminum in their construction? ;)

One of my projects along side my BigM is my grandfather's old 63 Thompson, that I converted from an outboard to inboard. That part is a story for a different day. As I am getting close to finishing this project, the time has come for trim and finnish work. These boats were supplied with two different types of extruded aluminum trim on the vinyl decks.

One style is an L shaped edge trim about 3/4 x 1/8 that gives a nice rounded, protected edge where the vinyl wraps around the end of a board.

The other is just a flat extrusion about 5/8 to 3/4 inch wide with the edges rounded over so nothing can get caught on it. Of coarse both styles have countersunk holes drilled along their length.

Anybody know where to find these? They only used it in the last few years of Thompson wood boat production, and most people seemed to have eliminated the vinyl and went to varnished decks.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Thompson help!

Post by Fastjeff »

..."63 Thompson, that I converted from an outboard to inboard."

That sure is backasswards from the usual conversion. Bet that was a ton of work.

Most of the aluminum stuff on Marinettes (for example) was custom rolled extrusions. You'll probably have to cobble something up.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Surprisingly, it was fairly easy. I used the hardware from a mastercraft stars and stripes and the 327 from an old cruiser that was reduced to firewood.

After looking at some photos, it looks like the cabin steps on the BigM use the same trim as I am looking for on the front edge of the wood.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
MetalHead
Site Admin