FYI, sounds like transmission grinding but was a dirty carb idle circuit

Things that are of general interest.
DougDoty
Tin star

FYI, sounds like transmission grinding but was a dirty carb idle circuit

Post by DougDoty »

FYI on todays project. I had a carb start idling crappy on the port motor late last fall and I decided to wait to spring to go through it. About that time, and I noticed it again this spring my transmission on that same port motor started getting real noisy and sounding like it was asking for something major. Fluid was not very old, clean and fresh looking. One of my best boating friends has a Chris Craft Aluminum Roamer and when I mentioned it to him he said it was just my crappy idling carb causing it to rattle as it pulsed, loading and unloading the transmission gears and components. He had seen this exact same thing in their boat and the previous owner was unable to fix it with transmission rebuilds and had it idled up to mask the problem. His turned out to be worn exhaust seats in his Ford 427 heads and mine appears after I rebuilt the carb to have been my carb issue. A non smooth running engine can transmit pulses into the transmission and then through the aluminum hull and create quite a bit of racket. I reinstalled my freshly tuned up carb this afternoon and it started instantly and idled smooth as silk again and was quiet in gear tied to the dock. Looks like he was spot on. I get to thinking I know about everything there is to know about cruiser boats after 50+ years on them and then somebody teaches me a new trick out of the blue. Man I love it when that happens !!! Means I am not completely an old dog yet.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: FYI, sounds like transmission grinding but was a dirty carb idle circuit

Post by jralbert »

I recall a similar occurrence with our 318's. When the engines were stumbling at idle, the trans started rattling as if the nuts, bolts and gears inside were loose. Smooth idle cured it
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: FYI, sounds like transmission grinding but was a dirty carb idle circuit

Post by Fastjeff »

Right! The torsion coupling (looks like the center of a car's clutch disk) will make a hell of a racket if the idle isn't smooth. That can damage the thing, so it's good you don't let it continue too long.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington