28 hardtop express idleing problem

Things that are of general interest.
dinmike3
New poster

28 hardtop express idleing problem

Post by dinmike3 »

I troll for walleyes with one engine and am having problems with the engine dying after a short time, getting worse each year. Could the ethenal in the fuel be causing the problem. Mike
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Re: 28 hardtop express idleing problem

Post by tundrarules »

First off, welcome to our forum Mike!

We are going to need a little more info from you. First go to the top right of the page click on your user name, go to user control pnl, profile, edit signature, then put a signature with all your boat info like the rest of us.

I am going to guess that the idle circuit in your carb has trash in it. How long has it been since you did a good tune-up...new distributor cap, rotor etc.....
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
dinmike3
New poster

Post by dinmike3 »

I had the boat tuned up last year, new distributor cap and the timing checked
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

How long does the engine take to conk out? Does it restart right away? How does it run otherwise? I've heard fisherman on the Great Lakes complain that idling with the old style alternators and running the electronics we have these days discharges the battery.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Ballast resister may be bad. We still don't know what year your boat is :roll: When it dies does it crank back up ok? It may be time for you to upgrade your ignition system to a modern system. A new distributor would eliminate a lot of problem areas. Lots of threads on here and on marineengines.com on how to do it. I did it several years ago because of chronic engine loss. Best money I've ever spent. :mrgreen:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
dinmike3
New poster

Post by dinmike3 »

When we first had the boat we cold troll for hours until we drained the juice out of the batteries, now it shuts down in a short time, it starts right up. boat runs great at speed. have a mechanic looking at right now will give an update. Mike
dinmike3
New poster

Post by dinmike3 »

Update on my idling problem. the mechanic pulled the distributors and found the screens in them were 60% plugged, I didn't know there were breathing screens in them. He did another tune-up and the boat runs fine . Thanks for your input and I hope my solution helps someone else. Caught 11 walleyes on my test run. Mike
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

I'm glad he got her going again. I'd like to hear about the process of determining the percentage of screen blockage.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Great that it is running again. Now the screen issue. I am assuming you have a point type distributor. Sounds like the condenser was getting too hot and breaking down. Point type distributors must have screens on the vent for U.S.C.G approval. The screens purpose is a flash suppressor, thus not allowing a spark /or arch from the points from exiting the distributor causing a potential explosion.

Later electronic distributors many do not have a vent thus no screen since there are no points generating an ignition source.

Thanks for the follow up. That would be an easy one to miss!

Safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain