Carb Problem

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Carb Problem

Post by Tuggle »

The only thing I can think of there was a bit of debris in the needle valve seat holding it open, don't know just speculation on my part. And yes did check the oil multiple times for contamination, sure some got in but doesn't appear to be much.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

I think if the diaphragm in the mechanical fuel pump (marine setup) fails it will leak gas into the crankcase. I still don't understand how a stuck open float/needle valve would make your engine idle down and put gas in the oil.

If you still have the carb that Edelbrock has authorized the return for maybe you could confirm the theory about the stuck open needle valve on your workbench. You should be able to pour water into the gas line and have it spill through the carb (over a dishpan). I believe you can make up a gas line with brake line fitting from the auto parts store. If you don't want to mess with this maybe ask Edelbrock for a test report on the return.

It has been a long time since I serviced one of these fuel pumps, but the last time they were replaced with a chrome cover plate and tossed in the trash. Mine, BTW had been replaced with automotive version which leaks to the outside when the diaphragm goes south.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Stuff happens.

Just yesterday a carb I recently rebuilt (and was working fine) leaked like a sieve when I turned on the electric fuel pump. Why? Search me, but a few raps with a plastic hammer freed it up and it sealed again--until I got to the launch ramp. A few more knocks and it was working again.

Why? Somehow the float or the needle stuck in the down position. Oh yeah! I'm ripping the b*st*rd apart this morning to see why.

Jeff,
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington