Carb Problem

Things that are of general interest.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Carb Problem

Post by Tuggle »

Gauges are located between the inline filter and the carb inlet, filter's are new, Wix. After switching the fuel lines to opposite engines, running the port engine off the starboard fuel pump and the starboard off the port, and the port engine still stalling I'm of the belief it has to be the carb. Called Edelbrock today, they said remove the three rod clips, the eight screws, lift the top of the carb off and inspect for debris. A bit reluctant to do this but Jeggs agreed and said it did not void any warranty.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Not hard to do, but two cautions: Don't force those needles back down when you reassemble; gently does it. And be careful not to over tighten and strip the little screws that hold them in. You wouldn't want them falling out to get sucked into the motor!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

That would be my luck. Was thinking, just to confirm it is the carb I would switch the carbs, port to starboard and vice verse. Same amount of bolts-screws to loosen and tighten, just hate the thought of breaking the seal on a new carb.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Agreed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
TeeCee
New poster

Post by TeeCee »

Hi. Just want to bump this and see if Tuggle ever found the root cause of his problem.?
1978 32` BigM Flybridge Sedan
Twin 318s
Velvet Drives
Sodus Point, NY
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

As of this writing the carb has been swap out with a new one but is yet untested, electrical problem with the same engine-port. Speculation from both Edlebrock and Jeggs is there is some manufacturing debris under the needle valves causing some restriction as well as a fuel dump, sounds good. Might also add Jeggs was very good as well as quick about swapping out the carb. Hopefully the electrical problem will be resolved this week, might be the subject of a new thread, and I can report all is well. Will keep you posted.
bpboater
Tin star

Post by bpboater »

If someone changed the fuel lines on the boat to alcohol resistant, they could be your problem. The early alcohol resistant fuel lines were a laminate structure. The interior wall would deteriorate and flake off. The flakes would accumulate at the next convenient stopping point, like the entrance to the fuel filter or the primer bulb or fuel fittings. They lay in the hose until flow rates pick up, then they flip up and block the fuel line. Try removing the fuel line just before a restriction and see if there are flakes of the interior wall of the hose laying there.
1988 41 Marinette
Twin Crusader 454-350 hp closed cooling
Westerbeke 8.5 kw BTG
Lake Cumberland, KY
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

With you on that one, yes fuel lines are new along with the filters, checked everything for restrictions all the way back to the tank fittings, nothing. Updating my post from July 6th I did switch the carbs port to starboard, starboard to port and the starboard engine displayed the same symptoms. With that being said I can with a reasonable degree of certainty say it is the carburetor. Will let you know when the electrical problem is resolved.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Well I can finally report engines are running great, new carb was installed and electrical problem fixed. Can only speculate that was something stuck under one of the needle valves, don't really know though. Going forward with a new filtration system, it is my intent to double filter the fuel, first running it threw a Wix 33418, water separator, then threw a 33528, two micron, this may seem like overkill but one can only imagine what's in the bottom of that tank after all these years.
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

I cannot imagine how a clog in the carb would make the gas pressure go down between the pump and the carb.

Rereading this I wanted to ask about half way through if there was gas in the engine oil.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau