Marinette purchase advice

Things that are of general interest.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Marinette purchase advice

Post by ericinga »

I've owned both an Express M and a Flybridge M. There are benefits to both configurations.
Express / sedan :
- gives you fast access to the aft deck and gunnels (In case the first mate needs some help docking)
- It's a little more social; everyone is on the same level.
- Seeing the aft corners while docking is a little harder.
- It is easily trailerable.

Flybridge:
- Great visibility all around.
- More room for passengers and stowing gear.
- The bridge itself weighs a few hundred pounds. I don't believe it makes the boat top heavy.
- It is trailerable within reason. A good example: I'm having ours hauled out next month for a bottom paint job. The hauler has a drop axle trailer that will allow him to take it right to the shop without removing the bridge. It's only a few miles and there are no overpasses. Any farther, I would likely take the bridge off but could get away without doing so.

As for 28' or 32':
I've owned both sizes. In hindsight, I would skip the 28' and buy a 32'. Those four feet in length and two feet in beam buy a whole lot of breathing space and a large amount of spousal happiness.

Regardless of the choice, as others suggested, find a very thorough surveyor. Even if you have decades of boating experience, a good surveyor will keep you out of trouble and help make your boat safer in the future. I am having a condition and value survey done this week and the results are brutal. There are no major deficiencies but a ton of detail issues that could be problems later. I asked him to be tough and he complied.

As for odor removal, Starbrite Perfomacide is the bomb. I've used it on boats, cars, dog beds ...... anything with an odor. It works.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Interesting. My uncle told me his 32 sedan came from the factory on a drop axle trailer--that would have been about 600 miles.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

My Express has a FB and the lower wheel is on the starboard side. My '68 was the same way. I motor from the lower station mostly because I interact a lot with the crew. Also, my deck hand is a Spaniel and he goes mental if I disappear up to the fly bridge.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau