Fuel Sending Unit

Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Fuel Sending Unit

Post by Tuggle »

Does anyone have any experience in changing out a manual fuel gauge, mine is mounted on the top of the tank, no electrical. Sure it's original to the boat and long past its service life. Went all the way below E when I drained the tank, back up to a 1/4 with 35 gallons, has not moved since burning that 35 and adding 50.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Fuel Gauge

Post by yooper »

I replaced my "button gauge" on top of my 1980 tank. It has been so long ago I can't remember all the details. I do remember that the tank opening was not the new standard and was closed by a plate with four heavy bolts that were tough to remove. I can't remember if I found and replaced the swing arm part of the gauge in the tank. I think the button is magnet driven and picks up the rotation of a steel piece under the gauge housing.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Lots of parts on these boats are automotive (like an electric gas gauge) but this mechanical gauge is made for the propane tank you see on a propane forklift. That is the secret. I looked everywhere, including the internet and could not find parts. Finally dawned on me, I see the same one on a propane forklift. The irony is my propane dealer is right next to the marina where I keep the boat. They had parts on the shelf. The gauge is labeled % instead of gallons but I was happy to find one.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

This is where I got mine. 12 years ago and still going strong!

http://www.iboats.com/Moeller-Mechanica ... id.1769665

In stock

Safe Harbors
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain