Salon floor upgrade

Things that are of general interest.
ronmar
Tin star

Salon floor upgrade

Post by ronmar »

I currently have single piece rubber backed carpet in the salon. Although in good condition and lies nicely in place, it's a huge hassle to remove for engine hatch access. I was thinking of trying to cut carpet at the engine hatch seams but not too sure I'm going to like that afterwards. I would like to find a parquet as close as possible like the galley and head area has. Anyone know of a source?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan
Marty D
Port of Cincinnati
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Salon floor upgrade

Post by yooper »

I sanded and stained the plywood minwax gunstock followed by floor grade poly. I just finished the perimeter not the hatches. I then got a nice persian style rug to cover the hatches and most of the floor area. To get to the engine hatch you just pull the rug aside. If it gets old or stained buy another. Coating the floor justs adds weight to the hatches and not much style.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Post by Tuggle »

Did something very similar, used 5/8" wood grain tiles from Rubber Flooring Inc, trimmed them with a band saw and put a hallway runner on top. Looks good, feels good and as mentioned above if it gets stained or worn throw it out and start over, cheap.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

"...I was thinking of trying to cut carpet at the engine hatch seams but not too sure I'm going to like that afterwards...:

I did just that. Put some screws with finishing washers around the hatch on both sides of the seam. Never a problem
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD