Bottom paint recommendation

Things that are of general interest.
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Bottom paint recommendation

Post by jralbert »

Just a reminder that when yard finishes sand or soda blasting, they must put first coat of primer on same day... Wait too long (more than a few hrs) and the benefit of sandblasting is lost and the new coatings won't hold long.

Happy love-aboarding
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
China3905
New poster

Post by China3905 »

I want to paint our boat bottom. What kind of paint should I use? I see antifouler paint. Is that good for the marrietta? I brought this boat from a previous owner. How do I know what bottom paint was previously used? I see spots of another color on the bottom as well. Please advise
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Ask the previous owner what paint they used.
Almost all boats need anti-fouling paint but less so in fresh water. Where are you boating?
If you're lucky (and the PO can advise), you may just need light sanding and then overcoating with anti-fouling. Other nearby boaters or a marine store may be able to advise what's best for your area. Bare spots need to be primed and the type of primer for your Marinette will depend on the anti-fouling you use.
SOunds like this is the beginning of a boating adventure for you and you have some reading up to do. Good luck - Marinettes are great boats
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD