39 Sedan purchase & transport

Things that are of general interest.
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: 39 Sedan purchase & transport

Post by yooper »

knock a couple of 1" x 2" sticks together mark some measurements making a "story pole". Make another stick and use a bubble level to intersect the grounded pole. You can get the accurate height of any feature on your decks.
I have to take my flybridge seats and rails off every year to transport and store my 32' in a barn with 14' doors. Mine is held on with a a few #8 screws and the electric wires and steering hydraulic lines. It takes 4 people to safely move the flybridge onto the fore deck. It can be tricky so you don't scuff the paint to bad or knock out the windshield. I am looking for a way to use a hoist instead. You have got a bigger problem with a 39' boat.
You need to permanently mark all the electrical, mechanical and hydraulic connections that come up from downstairs. My flybridge contained a plywood panel with labeled connector blocks. I made sure all electrical went through the panel. Keep the steering hydraulic sealed, don't remove the hoses. Take off the wheel and push the pump back through the mounting hole. With good marking and keeping the fasteners organized the job is not that hard.
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

The flybridge and the seat post will have to come off to even get close to 14. A 32 sedan ,bridge off, post off. No wheels ,no tires ,no axles on trailer . trailer on 4" equipment moving skates, No props, The keel and rudders were a 4x4 off the floor. I got it in to a 12' 4" door opening. rubbing. With the trailer complete . bridge and post off I was a little over 14' . Had to dodge the street lights.
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
MANTEC
New poster

Post by MANTEC »

Did you consider taking it there on the water? (small segment of the Great Loop) Nothing to disassemble Fuel cost might work out favorable to hauling rates if you only run at trawler speed and it would be a nice little adventure. Just a thought.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

MANTEC wrote:Did you consider taking it there on the water? (small segment of the Great Loop) Nothing to disassemble Fuel cost might work out favorable to hauling rates if you only run at trawler speed and it would be a nice little adventure. Just a thought.
I would love to do that but it looks like about 2500 miles and I don't have the time to complete it this year. It would probably cost as much in fuel as road transportation.
So far I do not have a delivery unload and launch facility near my dock. Now I am probably going to take it on the water from Lake St Clair to Cleveland area to load it there and truck it to the Ohio River. It would be a nice extended test ride. I tentatively have marinas at each end lined up. I actually will have that 100 miles on the water to start and then 150 miles from my land destination marina/port to get to my dock.
I should end up with the following multi modal transport:
100 miles on the lake + 175 miles on the road + 150 miles on the river to my dock.
There is a lot to coordinate but I think it will work out.
I know - I am probably crazy.

John
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

I have the transport, lift for flybridge at loading and delivery unload pretty well lined up. One issue is a lift for the flybridge at destination delivery.
About how much does the flybridge weigh? I also have a 100 lb radar arch on it that I hope not to remove but may have to.
How many folks and what methods can slide the flybridge back into place on top?
Thank you in advance for your help...
Here is the only crappy picture that shows most of the outside of the boat.
Attachments
Boat at dockz.jpg
Boat at dockz.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 12146 times
John
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Hello. This is what I did on my 32. First on the lower front deck run 2 2x4s front to rear ,on the lower deck hand rail. Use some pipe strap and wrap around the hand rails. Then cut a 2x4 across the front , and cut 2 legs for the front. to make a frame. Then on the flybridge remove the screws. lift up one side and slide a 2x4 front to rear and screw the bridge to the 2x4. do the same for the other side. This will give you a "handle" to lift the bridge off. You have to lift the bridge up high enough to get over the "Tube " the wires and shift cables and steering run through. Then sit the bridge on the lower frame you built, and screw it to it. The radar arch will have to come down . If I can find a pic I will post it. Joe
1988 sedan flybridge. Black / White. 318 240 hp Aluminum aft deck hard top. Louisville Ky . Tartans landing. " KNOCKEFELLERS"
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Joe,
I'll take what ever pics and diagrams you can provide. I think I am following you but not sure.
Thank you a bunch....
John
John
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

Not the best pics. I painted mine in 2012/13 All my pics are on a computer with a hard drive problem. This is when I first pulled it out to get started. I was about 14'6" tall. Had to dodge the traffic lights.
Attachments
flybridge on deck.jpg
flybridge on deck 2.jpg
Joe
Tin star

Post by Joe »

You really need 5 men. One in each corner and one to feed the cables and wires. On the ground 2 men can handle the bridge , butt its all you want.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I would see if there is a forklift or boom truck available. Faster and safer.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P