Square Mount Fuel Sending Unit

Things that are of general interest.
Steven

Square Mount Fuel Sending Unit

Post by Steven »

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time reader of this site and first time poster. I am in the middle of restoring my 1977 32' Sedan. Projects include new paint job, repower, interior remodel, and hydraulic upgrade. I am on the final steps of the paint job, need to spray two coats of topcoat. I want to thank everyone for the vast amount of information that I have taken of this site throughout my project.

Now on to my question. My fuel sender isn't working and I would like to replace it with a reed switch sender. I am told that the mounting pattern is odd and that it is a hard part to find. I am going to try and attached the picture I have. Assuming I can upload the picture, does anyone know where I could purchase a new sender with this bolt pattern? If not what option should I explore to address this? Weld a patch on the fuel tank and install a new sender?

Thank you in advance,
Steve

http://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/down ... iew&id=870
Attachments
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 10156 times
1977 32’ Sedan with Flybridge. Twin screw Chrysler 318. Home Port: Michigan City, IN
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Fuel Gauge

Post by Fastjeff »

I matched mine up at West Marine. Of course, that was a duplicate of the original gage.

Jeff

PS: I adjusted both gages so that 15 to 20 gallons of fuel were left when the needle it hit "E". Reassuring when you can't find a gas station open!
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Steven,
Welcome to the forum. Forum etiquette says that you should start a new thread of your own. Hijacking someone else’s subject is a no-no. No harm, no foul. I think I did a few times myself long ago. Just helping you out. Welcome and good luck on your project. Can’t wait to see your restore.

Admin started a new thread
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Thanks Jeff. I will remove and take it to West Marine. Sorry about hijacking this post. I will start a new going forward.
1977 32’ Sedan with Flybridge. Twin screw Chrysler 318. Home Port: Michigan City, IN
MetalHead
Site Admin

Re: Square Mount Fuel Sending Unit

Post by MetalHead »

Steven,

You may be able to have (or make) an adaptor from a thick piece of aluminum.

Like this maybe?
Attachments
4 to 5 Hole Sender Adaptor.jpg
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Steven

Re: Square Mount Fuel Sending Unit

Post by Steven »

Thanks Metalhead. I Will explore this option also. I decided to work on the engines/fuel tank next instead of spraying the last two coats of topcoat. I figured it would be easier to repair the paint if damaged during engine removal at this stage.