Marinette 39 Sedan sea trial

Things that are of general interest.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Marinette 39 Sedan sea trial

Post by shade2u2 »

Well I'm finally to the point of a sea trial tomorrow toward purchasing a 1986 39 Sedan with 454 Crusaders.
The survey is complete with no mechanical issues other than the Windlass not functioning. Owner has replaced the breaker and reports that it now works.
What else would be on your checklist as this is the 1st time that the engines, generator and other systems will run for me?
Thank you in advance for your help.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Marinette 39 Sedan sea trial

Post by jralbert »

I forget whether that mechanical survey was professionaly done. But it's probably now a moot point. Wondering whether having your mechanic onboard would be useful. Considering the purchase price, the labor charge for an hour might be worth it if you are uncertain what to check.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

It was a professional survey on the hard. The motors were not ran.
I have a list from experience and the surveyor.
I was just looking for any ideas of something that I might overlook.
My mechanic friend is not available. I do my own service work.
John
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

I suppose the first obvious thing is to check the oil pressure gauges once the engines fire. Not sure the correct standard oil pressure for big block Chevy's, but I would expect around 50-60 when the oil is cold at start up, then taper down to around 30 when warmed up. The next thing I check after my engines fire is that sufficient water is flowing out of the tailpipes, physically walking out the back and hanging off the rail so I can see the tailpipes. I do this EVERY time I start my engines. Then monitor the the coolant gauges as she warms up. Sometimes I will open up the hatch and just listen to the engines run. If its dark down in there, that's a good time to see if you have bad plug wires, as you will see the blue arcs in the dark. Now that you have two helms, you will want to go up and check the other gauges, make sure they all work. Another point to observe (in other words don't make the same dumb mistake I did) is before you even attempt to start is make sure both sets of keys are in both helms. I say this because I once made the mistake, while docking in high winds. I had started the engines from the lower helm, and not bothered to take the keys up on the flybridge. As I attempted to maneuver from the dock, one of my engines stalled. As I scrambled back down the ladder to restart, a big gust of wind took her and slammed her into the docks. Luckily my boat, nor any other boats were damaged, just my pride. Sad part was it was in front of the entire Great Lakes Marinette Club while attending the rendezvous at Kellys Island last year ! Thankfully a fellow M-ster ran over and helped out from the dock !! Always keep both sets of keys in the both ignitions, but only use the set from the helm that you will be operating from (in case you have to shut them down in an emergency). One other thing I thought of was, although mine is a sedan, from what I was told, by those that own double cabins, that your fuel tank(s) are under the bed(s) which would be a much more confined space, making the use of the blower even more critical before start-up. Hope this helps.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Thank you Jim.
This boat has a key for each engine in the galley cupboard. Each helm just has starter switches.
It is also a sedan.
John
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Did the surveyors at least run and check the engines on the hard?

Hope so.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

(Jeff, he said no in the post above). Jim Elias has good info but I'd just offer one change in the order of things -- check the coolant outflow first. Make sure it's flowing nicely, then you can look at the other items. A good job for a mate or guest.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

..."this is the 1st time that the engines, generator and other systems will run for me?"

How about the surveyors? Does this mean the they didn't start them on land? If not, those guys shouldn't be paid!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Thank you for the help.
As for running the engines at survey, the indoor heated storage facility does not permit engines to run or access to any water. They even have to connect and disconnect the batteries. They are picking.
The engines only have 350 hours on them and look nearly near with service records for the last 4 years. I wasn't to concerned and the deal was pending the sea trial and confirmation that a long list of items did function correctly.
The survey was "pre-purchase non-mechanical" and I was charged about half the price of his full survey. He was there about 5 hours. All 12V and 110 systems and equipment were checked that could be without the engines running along with visual inspection of engines (for leaks, wiring, etc). It was plugged into shore power. The hull (inside & out), struts, shafts, tanks, hoses, pumps, batteries, interior finish & furnishings and safety items & systems were inspected pretty thoroughly. It was well worth it as I re-negotiated with the seller due to bottom paint concerns.
John
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

The sea trial was completed on Saturday. In the end, everything went pretty well. The deal is pretty much done.
Rusting water from the motors pumped out at first as these engines were not winterized due to the indoor heated storage. We were looking for that. Then the water flow out of the port engine exhaust slowed down a lot and the engine started to heat up. The seller took the water pump apart and all looked good. The impeller was replaced last year. After re-assembling the pump and checking the strainer, it ran fine and both engines were within a few degrees of one another. Maybe there was an air pocket or something partly plugging up somewhere. I checked with my IR temp gun at various points for a while and all was good. It ran around 140 degrees for most of the trip across the lake. I'll check that next weekend again.
What should the idle be for these 454 Crusaders as they did seem to idle high at about 900-1,000 rpm? I thought it should be 650-700. The glendinning system was just installed and we will check the idle adjustment next weekend.
After cruising for about 20-30 minutes, I ran it up to 4,000 rpm and it was at about 35 mph. It was breezy, choppy and the enclosure was all closed up. The results seemed decent to me and the motors ran very smooth. The oil pressure looked good.
The electronics all functioned as advertised I think that I will really like this Garmin 6208 system.
Anyhow, I am close to lining up transportation. :)
John