A sad day

Things that are of general interest.
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

A sad day

Post by TinLizzy »

Early morning June 17, 2018, during a massive storm, a hillside behind my house gave way, collapsing a basement wall and trapped my sleeping 12 year old son, Thatcher, under feet of debris. I was able to dig him out with help. But all the local roads were washed out and emergency personal were unable to get to my house. We were able to get him across the Portage Canal in a locals boat, continuing cpr during this whole time. Finally the ambulance was able to meet us and the took him to the hospital where they were able to get a pulse. He was air lifted to Ann Arbor, MI, about 500 miles away and placed in U of M hospitals PICU. Sadly, he never regained consciousness, and his brain continued to swell to the point it stopped working. He was declared dead late on June 18. We have been in a state of shock since. The outpouring of support from all of my family, friends, community members and complete strangers has helped us greatly through this devastating time. The day before this tragedy, I launched my 28 express to get it ready for a trip to Isle Royale that we planned on taking my boys and nephews. Thatcher looked forward to this trip all year long. He truly loved being on the boat, with fishing being his main passion. He would spend hours upon hours a day fishing in front of our house. Hopefully time will lessen the hurt and heartbreak, and we will be able to take my other children out on the water, hoping that they might feel the same way he did on the water. We are comforted by the fact that we know he is in the arms of Jesus watching over us, waiting for the day that we can join him. God bless. Thatcher Alan Markham 2005-2018
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Re: A sad day

Post by legendlc »

No words to describe what your feeling. Love, prayers, thoughts, and sympathy sent your way. I lost my sister when I was 18 she 21. I couldn't imagine. I pray for peace for you and your family.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

No words to describe what your feeling. Love, prayers, thoughts, and sympathy sent your way. I lost my sister when I was 18 she 21. I couldn't imagine. I pray for peace for you and your family.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Horrible.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Thank you for reaching out to us. I will be praying for your healing. I can't emagine the pain you feel. God promises his help thru these times. Lean on Him . I could not face that without knowing God. Please feel free to reach out to me personably to talk or pray with or for you in the future.
Wayne Smith
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Sharon and my prayers and thoughts are with you. Terrible news. There are words to say, but none that can "say" what a heart feels. Our deepest condolences... :(

Bill and Sharon Cassedy
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
jwd0255
New poster

Post by jwd0255 »

I can't imagine and I pray to God that I never feel the pain you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this terrible time.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Please accept our sympathy for the loss of your son
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

:(
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

:(
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.