Fly Bridge Ladder Restoration

Things that are of general interest.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Fly Bridge Ladder Restoration

Postby carl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:28 pm

It took me all of eighteen hours non stop to restore my fly bridge ladder today, this was more than a full days work, it was more than twice a full days work but the end result is one my family and I can climb up and down with a peace of mind all day now. I got lucky too, the powder coat shop let me personally blast the six steps clean in their blast cabinet and then they powder coated them while I waited. I considered powder coating them red because I consider these steps safety related components but settled on the sky blue, still bright enough and they do stand out. Overall a big task, you wouldn't think it but it was a time consuming task. Take it all apart, clean every part and piece with a solution of TSP and water in a bucket along with Brillo pads piece by piece until everything looks new again. Lots of grime to remove after twenty eight years especially in the multiple sockets of the railings. Not a hint of any anti seize compound on any of the fasteners at disassembly making it difficult at times to break the fasteners. Purchased all new fasteners and reassembled with "TEFGEL" compound. Mark your steps before disassembly for an easy reassembly, I didn't and it was like a Rubic's Cube fitting it all back up. I'm calling this task complete.
Attachments
P7190002.JPG
P7190003.JPG
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Fly Bridge Ladder Restoration

Postby Fastjeff » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 am

Man, that looks nice!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington