Off season fuel conditioner

Things that are of general interest.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Off season fuel conditioner

Post by shade2u2 »

What do you add to the tank for the winter?
Why did you pick that one?

Getting ready to top off the tanks for the season end.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Off season fuel conditioner

Post by jralbert »

I always used a "stabilizer" called Sta-bil. Can't say why I used it. At the same time, I always took mfr claims with a couple of grains of salt. But I didn't want to chance a bad outcome and it was relatively cheap stuff. I never saw any objective article reporting on independent tests of stabilizer concoctions. I think fuel additives are somewhat over-hyped.

Others on the forum may be able to point to good reasons for one brand over another... or any brand for that matter

UPDATE: Got un-lazy and thanks to Google found this citation on testing: https://www.boatingmag.com/gear/boating ... ers#page-3

ANOTHER UPDATE: make sure some of the stabilized fuel is in t he carbs before hibernation - that is, run some thru the engine before you winterize.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I've also used Startron. Not sure if it's any better (or worse). The main thing is to fill the tank(s) full as possible with conditioner, then run the motors a bit to get it into the fuel system.

Here's a piece of good news on this hotly debated subject: This summer was such a mess--way too hot, then raining like crazy, then... repeat. I filed the tank of my 19 footer last November with that 10 % ethanol crap, stabilized the fuel, and burnt only half of it this entire year. Still, the motor ran just fine. I intend to pump the rest out before refilling with fresh gas and more stabilizer, but that really old gas DID run fine.

Jeff

PS: Boat is stored outside.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by shade2u2 »

Thank you for the details.
Good information.
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)