Un-winterizing help! New boat to me question

Things that are of general interest.
Studini
Tin star

Un-winterizing help! New boat to me question

Post by Studini »

So I bought my 32' Fisherman in tbe fall. I did winterization and am pretty comfortable with everything. I'm getting ready to put her in the water next weekend and am wondering about the cooling system. I have the through Hull seacocks with the clear collection strainers and then a hoses to the engines. My question is will that just fill up with water when we put her in or do I need to prime that somehow? Will the water pump have enough suction to draw the water up? Also I fogged the engines anything special I need to do before firing them up? Any other secrets I should.know? Thanks in advance!
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Un-winterizing help! New boat to me question

Post by jralbert »

Heaven help me if I give you a bum steer here (because I sold the boat 7 yrs ago and memory fades) but #1 was to make sure the drain plugs were secured, seacock valves open, if you sealed carbs for the winter, unseal...then fire up. There will be a minute or so of smoke out back as the fogging oil burns away (check for bubbles at the exhaust, too, to make sure water is flowing through the system. I'm tryin' hard to think if we left something out but that's about it. Except to check for oil level, of course, as usual, beforehand.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Un-winterizing help! New boat to me question

Post by barkleydave »

If your raw water pumps is in good shape it will pull water through the salad bowls no problem.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain